Thread: Perkins to Jeep conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Perkins to Jeep conversion

Hello we are new to this group. we are a local high school Auto Tech class who is currently about to swap a perkins diesel into a 89 Jeep Chreokee.
    The donor vehicle is a Jacobsen Lawn tractor. We will also run this as a biodiesel (Veggie oil). First thing we have to do is mount the engine into the jeep. I was thinking the easist thing we could do was to swap the entire drive train into the jeep (engine and tranny) or we could adapt the perkins to the jeep automatic. This is strictly a shop vehicle and will never be on the road again, maybe a couple of times around the parking lot
    The problems I see are:
    1. the Jasobsen tractor tranny it has a case hanging off the end of the tranny that converts it to front wheel drive. can I just remove the tranny and adapt it to the jeep transfer case?
    2. Should I just convert the jeep to rear wheel drive?
    3. Should I build an adapter to mount the perkins to the automatic tranny? We have a pretty good machine shop.

As of now the kids have removed the jeep drive train engine/tranny/tcase all still connected and all wiring harness.
    The perkins is almost ready to lift out, and as with the jeep we will lift the entire drive train as one unit.
    THis is going to be fun.
    Any ideas comments? would love to hear any stories or see pics of your conversion.
    Steve
    Ward Melville
    Auto Tech Instructor

sounds like a fun project,.
    IF it were me,. i,d hook the perkins onto the jeep trans,. then you have a usuable unit,. might want to investigate the stall speed ofthe jeeps auto,. you might want a lower stall for the perkins,.
    jmho.
    Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Thumbs up thanks

Nick thanks for the reply
    YEs it will be a fun project. we finally go the drive line out of the jacobsen tractor and we have a new process tranny quite possible it a T18/19. We need to get it clean first and identify the tranny. I know the automatic would make a cleaner vehicle but fabericating the adapter might be a bit more than the kids can handle. This jeep will never be on the road again so its no problem if the gearing is very low. Another problem I forsee is the clutch petal linkage would also need to be refabericated, now the pedal in in line with the engine. We might need to convert to a hydraulic system.
    as we move foward we will try to post pics
    Steve

Great project to let the kids get their first taste of wrenching. The conversion to the Jeep tranny makes the most sense. Your Jeep probably came equipped with the Aisan AW-4 automatic.

The nice thing about this tranny is the bell housing is removeable, thus it would be an easy trick to convert the bolt pattern from the Jeep engine to the Perk. The Perk will have an industry standard bolt pattern, commonly used for industrial engines, probably a class 3 mount. After that, just drill out the flywheel for the torque convertor and fab up a set of motor mounts.

Your machine shop will be able to whip up an adapter plate in no time. Granted getting the trans from the jacobsen to work with a transfer case would give the kids a chance to flex their geometry muscles, but the frustration factor will be high. Especially for their first build, keep it simple.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)