Thread: Glow Plugs

Default Glow Plugs

Why do glow plugs always fail for me when I'm in Florida for the summer? It always happens here and NEVER when in cold climates in the winter when they are actually being used or are they always activated even for a split second regardless of temp? Either way I just lost another one last week when it was 90+ degrees outside. Oh well.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Arrow

The GP system is tested at a start if the ECT is below 140F, whether they actually get a heating cycle or not. It's an EPA thing. Why quit in Florida? I dunno. Seems like the place to retire.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

It sure seems like I have had several glow plugs "retire" in Florida over the past few years. It could be much worse however.

Thanks for the info on how it works.
    Ed
    KM4STL

Update:

The dealer said the computer showed 3 glow plugs were bad, but not the same 3 each scan. so he checked the individual glow plugs and all were good. Soooo......Glow Plug Controller. Now all it well.
    Ed
    KM4STL

Or it was all well until two days later when the same indication of a bad glow plug showed up again on the first start of the morning and the check engine light stayed on again. Exactly as before the glow plug controller was installed.

I went back to the same dealer and they checked it again and had no clue why the 3 glow plugs checked ok the first time, so they did the right thing in my book. They cut the price of the glow plug controller install in half and replaced all 3 glow plugs at no charge for parts or labor.

So I now have 3 new glow plugs and a new glow plug controller for a grand total of $230.00. I'm not sure the original controller was bad, but then again it was 10 years old so I'm happy with the outcome even if I had to make two trips to the dealer to get it done. But then I'm retired, I have plenty of time. haha
    Ed
    KM4STL

Arrow

That's excellent! A dealer that actually stands behind their work is hard to find these days. All told, they did about as good as they could for you, despite getting it wrong at first.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com