Thread: Coolant leak

Default Coolant leak

I just had my 2006 LBZ towed in 60 miles. it was the first time in 225,000 miles it ever left me sitting on the side of the road. It is leaking coolant badly from just left of center on the left rear of the motor. I can't see anything wet from the top but it is leaking buckets from below. Is there a hose in that area that could have broken? If anyone has any thoughts about what could be leaking in that area please let me know. I will start to hunt for the leak tomorrow.
    Thanks
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Might be coming from the valley like a turbo hose, but those have been pretty durable.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I had the EGR cooler hose blow out on mine a couple of weeks ago.

Although that is on the pass side of engine. It be hard to tell from below as it seems to run all over once it gets in the valley.

Good luck - neither the EGR or turbo hoses are very much fun to get to...

Joe.
    2006 Chevy K2500 LLY Duramax/Allison Crew Cab!
    1996 Chevy C2500 6.5 auto Ext. Cab LB

I just spent two hours trying to locate the leak, with on luck. It appears to be on the left rear and below the valley. There is nothing but dust in the valley and on indication of a leak on the top of the motor. I don't think it is a head gasket because from what I can see of the head gasket block area, they are dirty but coolant free. If the head gasket was leaking it most likely would have coolant dripping along the head to block seam.

Is there a freeze plug in the back of the left head or a bolt that goes into a coolant passage?

The truck doesn't fit in my garage and it is already 93 degrees in Phoenix so I have retreated to the AC until evening.

John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2007 Pontiac Solstice.

Got a Harbor Freight near you? They have a cheap ($80?) inspection camera with a 3 foot cable that might let you see places in the back of the engine that your naked eye won't get to. Could be a cheap investment, and it could be enlightening. Fire up the truck (make sure the coolant tank is full) and start looking...

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...pection+camera

Default Esp

You must have ESP. I was at Harbor Freight buying a inspection camera and when I returned home I looked at the DP posts you had suggested that I buy one. I will try to locate the leak with the inspection camera tomorrow.

*2007 Pontiac Solstice.

Default EGR hose leak

The leak Was the EGR coolant hose. All I can say is that I hope it never needs to be changed again. I went to the Cat dealer and purchased one foot ($17) of the Cat engine coolant hose. It is much stronger than the standard 5/8 heater hose. I was disappointed in GM for putting standard heater hose in such a hard place to service. The truck is still the best truck I have ever owned. Thanks for the suggestions on finding the leak.

John

*2007 Pontiac Solstice.