Thread: Come on baby, start!

Question

Newbie with a '04 Dmax with 8700 miles. I drive it once or twice a week. As the temperature here (Wyoming) has dropped, it has developed some starting issues. It seems like, on the first start of the day, it cranks longer before it starts and when it does start it blows black smoke and runs very rough for 15 seconds or so. It then runs fine. It has always started the first time. I keep it in the garage where the temp is +/- 20 degrees. It has started as cold as -5. The colder it is, the rougher it initially runs and the longer it runs rough. After reading other posts, I am hoping it isn't injectors.
    2004 Duramax CC SB
    2004 1500 5.3L ext, SB

Sounds fairly normal to a point for a cold engine. Try plugging it in on those cold nights and see if it improves. Trying to start an engine that relies on heat to fire in the freezing cold takes alot of work...
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Mine has been left outside in -15 before and started without being plugged in. It runs funny and is noisy for a couple seconds then is fine and maybe a puff of smoke. at temperatures that are just below zero it starts normally even when not plugged in.

Thanks, I guess I just thought it should start a little better being in a relatively warm garage, but it sounds like that is just the nature of the beast. My powerstroke would start without a problem and it was never in the garage.
    2004 Duramax CC SB
    2004 1500 5.3L ext, SB

My 01 started without being plugged in at -20, it does run rough for a bit and cranked a little longer but it does start fairly easily. I think they have come along way with diesels these days. We have some tractors around the farm that when it gets to +10 they will not start with out being plugged in and sometimes a little either but they are 1970's vintage.
    83 Chevy K10 <br />01 GMC 2500HD CC D/A

Would there be any noticeable benefit to switching to a 5w-40, or 5W-30 oil and do you think it is too early in the game to switch to a synthetic?
    2004 Duramax CC SB
    2004 1500 5.3L ext, SB

rjschoolcraft Guest

I have been running Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 in the winters for about three years now. It is amazing how much faster the engine cranks vs the Rotella T 15W-40.

Originally posted by gopokes:
    Would there be any noticeable benefit to switching to a 5w-40, or 5W-30 oil and do you think it is too early in the game to switch to a synthetic?
    Synthetic oil and some Stanadyne Winter formula will give you very reliable winter starts.
    The synthetic will greatly help with getting oil pressure sooner and cranking speed of the motor.....which is VERY important in starting a cold diesel.
    By the way, Rotella synthetic is a good oil but it is only a highly refined conventional group III that is labeled as "Synthetic" due to a law suit ruling.
    A GREAT synthetic would be Amsoil, Delvac 1 or Royal Purple. They are TRUE synthetic group IV oils.
    Diesel power is a sweet addiction!<br />Mirage88---Break--Break<br /><a href=\"http://www.hidkits.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.hidkits.com</a>

Is it OK to run 0-40 synthetic oil??It is a recommended oil for John Deere tractors up to 90F-working under load.Would like your comments. We have it in all our engines big and small-but not in Duramax because of warranty issues. Please give your thoughts.

It's still exactly the same 40wt when warmed up and working.
    The 0wt is for cold flow on startup. The oil transitions to 40wt as it warms.
    it's better to have oil flow then to not have any oil at all for several seconds....
    Diesel power is a sweet addiction!<br />Mirage88---Break--Break<br /><a href=\"http://www.hidkits.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.hidkits.com</a>