Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bye 300HP 6.5

Angry

Up to so far, I have been pleased with the conversion. But today, I found out something that makes me mad.
    I must install a 2" body lift kit in the truck. One of the reasons I like my truck is its height. Could be worse, like 3"
    I am going to have to leave the right motor mount raised 2" to allow the AC pump to fit. If I chose to forego AC, need to do nothing, but drop the right mount 2". AC is a must. So a 2" body lift kit will raise the front so the hood will close, and also allow space to drop the tranny, if a clutch is needed VS pull the entire powerpack.
    I have so much engine under the hood, the hood will not close.
    2" is hardly noticeable. So off we go.
    Wayne
    93 Chevy 4x4, 1 T 5sp Diesel Depot 18:1 ceramic & graphite coated pistons, balanced 6.5TDA, Ceramic lamenated head & exhaust manifolds, Marine 300 HP pump, hi-pop injectors, GM8 turbo with custom manual boost controller; intercooled (19 LBS BOOST), big exhaust, hi-output water pump & dual thermostats, programable glow plug controller, 60G glow plugs, Custom boost & pyrometer gages mounted in former flip-out ash tray, 50 gallon external fuel tank 900-1500 cruising range, goose, RV and receiver hitches; all-in-all--just a little modified for towing. <br />85 Mercedes 300SD <br />81 VW DIESEL Pickup - my sweet & immaculate high MPG daily driver <br />66 Bronco (itchin to put a Mercedes 5 cyl into)<br />59 Dexta with 3 banger Perkins Diesel<br />81 Ford 4X4 Compact Diesel tractor<br />I\'ve driven only diesels since 1979-I think I am a convert. <br />DP # 1146

Dogdiesel, great job on your project, I wish I had the time, patience and knowhow to tackle something that big. Anyway I am looking to do something on a smaller scale ie; intercooler. If you are ready to part with yours from the 6.5 I would love to buy it from you.
    Steve
    99gmccrew
    99\'GMC 6.5L Crewcab Dually S/B<br />k&n filter,4\" Pinnacle exhaust,<br />A-pillar Triple gauge pod<br />EGT,Boost,& Trans temp gauges<br />Intercooled, B&M shift tow mode<br />Kennedy boost controller<br />4.10\'s to 3.73\'s, VSSB recal<br />Heath FSD extension<br />home made heatsink<br />#9 resistor <br /> <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4552677&uid=2319174\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4552677&uid=2319174</a>

Angry

Let's review where I sit before congratulating me too much.
    --I have an engine mounted in the bay. Not ran. No chamnpagne yet.
    --I have to shorten my drive shaft.
    --I have to put in a 2" body lift to get the hood to close.
    --I have to add 2" to the tranfer shift rod. EZ mod.
    --I have to build a small bracket to hold one stud of the clutch cylinder that has no hole on the bell adapter (covered by tranny bell). EZ mod.
    --I have to plumb the intercooler.
    --More I am sure.
    ++I haven't quit the project, but I am going to wait a few weeks for all the cuts, skins etc to heal on my hands.
    --I have to install a 4" Dodge exhaust kit.
    --Maybe progress so far justifies a beer. Yes definitely.
    Wayne
    93 Chevy 4x4, 1 T 5sp Diesel Depot 18:1 ceramic & graphite coated pistons, balanced 6.5TDA, Ceramic lamenated head & exhaust manifolds, Marine 300 HP pump, hi-pop injectors, GM8 turbo with custom manual boost controller; intercooled (19 LBS BOOST), big exhaust, hi-output water pump & dual thermostats, programable glow plug controller, 60G glow plugs, Custom boost & pyrometer gages mounted in former flip-out ash tray, 50 gallon external fuel tank 900-1500 cruising range, goose, RV and receiver hitches; all-in-all--just a little modified for towing. <br />85 Mercedes 300SD <br />81 VW DIESEL Pickup - my sweet & immaculate high MPG daily driver <br />66 Bronco (itchin to put a Mercedes 5 cyl into)<br />59 Dexta with 3 banger Perkins Diesel<br />81 Ford 4X4 Compact Diesel tractor<br />I\'ve driven only diesels since 1979-I think I am a convert. <br />DP # 1146

Lightbulb

Dog

Been following your upgrade with interest. Power on, man!

In regards to your clearance issue. Is the hood the only place lacking room? If so, would it be more practical (or cost effective) to mod the hood? The cowl induction hoods add a pretty good amount of space down the centerline.

Just a suggestion.

Red face

There are significant clearance issues on top and sides of the transmission. When I pushed it 2" back it jammed things. With the setup like I have it now, there would be no way to pull the transmission/transfer for a clutch issue without pulling the engine.

I lean toward the body lift vs cowl hood, because I am sure there will be vibration issues with something touching under the floor. Need to fix that.

My intent from this point is to tackle the conversion as follows.
    --shorten and reconnect drive shaft.
    --fix clutch bracket and lengthen 4wd shifter.
    --drill holes for tranny/tranfer crossmembers--connect.
    --hook everything up.
    --Get her running without intercooler.
    --move it, clean it to install body kit, intercooler etc.
    --work buggs, small to large.

Wayne

Fossil OREGON, Presently in Aspin Hill/Barnsville MARYLAND

Question

Did you ever find a body lift kit to fit the GM diesels? I tried to find one for my 94 K2500 but all I could find was for a gasser. Was told a diesel one won't fit, maybe due to Turbo location. Know of any who has put a body lift kit on one?

JC.
    94 GMC K2500 HD L65 3.73 AT, X-Cab LBed 20 mpg HW, <br />68 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 3spd, 68 RS Camaro 327-325hp 700R4 posi, <br />79 F-250 HD ExtCab 4wd 351M C6 4.11, 87 Z-24 Cavalier 2.8 HO, <br />94 Intrepid Touring Sedan 3.5 HO, 94 Safari AWD 200hp HO 4.3 Posi,<br />01 Durango SLT 4.7 V8 3.55 Posi Part-Time 4WD, 91 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.2.<p>I was born by God\'s dear grace in a most extraordinary place. Where the Stars and the Stripes and the Eagle flies.

SHE RUNS! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Yes, I used the body lift kit from Performance Accessories # 10012. The "gasser" problem is the radiator shroud. If that is not a problem, and you can make your own shroud work, then this is the kit.
    My cab kit is installed. I have yet to install the bed, cause getting 'er running is more important than the bed. The 2" body lift will hardly be noticeable. I was all worked up about it, but it is no big deal. However, the hood closes, and there is room above the tranny. Just enough body lift for the cummins.
    FAN is a issue. I have 2.5" between pully and radiator and a clutch is not an option. I ordered a Flexilite 418 (18") fan and 952 adapter and the truck will have constant fan. Worked with the Flexilite technician, and short of hydraulic system, this is the only option. Electric fans will work fine until you tow, then they cease to be a viable option.
    I installed a WarpSpeed 4" exhaust (3.5 stock manifold coupler) and everything bolted up except the front pipe. Cut away the weld and re-set it, tacked it and brazed it up. Had to cut it near the bend to get it set straight, but merely inserted the filler pipe--cut to length--and it is done. Good tone, but not loud.

More to follow.
    Wayne

Uncle Wally Guest

Mudtrekker,

I have a 3" body lift in my 93. I didn't put it in. In fact, when the 94 is rolling again (hopefully very soon), I am going to dive into the 93 and the lift is one thing that will come out. Your more than welcome to have it if you'd like. I believe it's all bushings and nothing else. I did spy some spacers holding the fan shroud apart though.

Waldo

Hi Wayne, do you still have the 6.5 '93 K&N (complete with housing/plumbing), and intercooler kit available.
    Bill Mathews Bill@crijax.com
    93 6.5TURBO SRW STOCK K3500 4X4
    USMC 67-70 VIET NAM VET SEMPER FI
    2000 LANCE Truck Camper, 3.782 Lbs without gear.

Yes, I have the filter & K&N.
    I have the intercooler mounted TEMPORARILY on the cummins (cools just fine) and it handles 25-35 lbs of boost.

In a few months, I will convert to another intercooler.
    The pipes are not modified. The exception is the turbo to intake tube which is flattened on one spot to accomodate the Peninsular Power Turbo.
    Wayne