Thread: Isuzu Diesel in Suburban

Default Isuzu Diesel in Suburban

So i have 7 children and really need a 8 seater to drag em around...i have a Isuzu 4cly 3.9 engine with 5 speed tranny to convert a suburban .
    www.defiant4wd.com is gonner do the work....Question is...I would like to keep the auto 4x4 transmission on the truck...can it be done? Or What auto tran. could be used instead of the 5 speed tranny??? Thanks

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Torontocity View Post
    So i have 7 children and really need a 8 seater to drag em around...i have a Isuzu 4cly 3.9 engine with 5 speed tranny to convert a suburban .
    www.defiant4wd.com is gonner do the work....Question is...I would like to keep the auto 4x4 transmission on the truck...can it be done? Or What auto tran. could be used instead of the 5 speed tranny??? Thanks
    I saw a 70's era GMC 1/2-ton with an Isuzu 4-cyl diesel in it a couple of years ago. I spoke to the driver while getting fuel, and he reported 28-mpg. Sounded cool too!

One thing to consider is the engine rpm range of the engine, when looking at transmissions. The mechanically injected 4-cyls have a pretty limited rpm range. In general, the 700R4, TH400 or 4L80-E are all either programmed or set up for the rpm range of the engine it was behind. The GM autos would need to be persuaded (modified) to shift at rpm points the 4-cyl needed.

Jim

Default What happened

Hey Torontocity, did you go ahead with this, or are you? Wondering about the same engine in a Chevy pick-up and I live in Guelph, not far from Mississauga where the Defiant4WD is. Are they capable of doing the swap and at what kind of cost.

Thanks.