Thread: 6.5 to duramax conversion

Default 6.5 to duramax conversion

I have a 97 1 ton with 6.5 TD Automatic. (Engine is very good)I also have a 1994 HD 1 ton 5 speed truck with a bad engine!, I have a 2002 duramax engine and Allison trans. Duramax came with exhaust system,fuel tank,NO Coumpter some wiring. I was thinking about putting the Duramax in the 94 1 ton because it has a real nice 12" flatbed , 5 speed has maybe 500 miles on it.The whole truck is in nice shape. Someone told me the injecter pump would have to be swaped out if I put the 6.5 engine from the 97 in the 94 truck? I can part out the 97 for parts to put the Duramax in the 94. I could also put the Dudamax in the 97! Just wondering what kind of Rodeo am I getting myself into? I'm am a good mech and have all the equiptment to do both.. Any sugestions or info would be helpful..Thanks

You could also swap the PROM chip in your 94's ECM to an updated one to work with the new style 5521 IP if your 94 hasn't been upgraded yet. As for the DURAMAX swap, I documented mine here in some detail and theres a few others.

This will give you an idea of how I did mine and what all I went through with my 95 SUBURBAN.
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=34348
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.