TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > Member's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Member's Forum The Diesel Page Member community forum. General discussion forum for topics not necessarily focused on diesels.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

Been watchin yer story, with much envy, Missy. I have only a couple of points of reference, as concerns Mercedes, but they're both pretty darn positive.

I actually owned a 57, 220 S convertible for several years. It was a rust -bucket that I bought for $100, with the intention of restoring it. I drove it just one time, for about a mile, round-trip. Gas can sitting on the hood (fuel line rusted plum off). But, it started and ran like a champ, and I was so impressed at the lack of rattles, and the way it soaked up the local gravel road bumps. And, it handled! Most impressive, to me, the doors on that rusted car didn't sag a bit. The reason being, that the door frames were cast aluminum. They closed with a thud, like you'd expect from a Merc. Leather and mahogany, throughout, including a cover, under the dash for-cryin-out-loud! Dual heater cores and controls. I finally sold it for $400, to the first guy who heard the add, and turned away guys with a ready $800 if I would go back on my acceptance of the first guy's money.

Years later (early 80's), I rode with a vendor from N-central L.A. to a new plant north of the city, about a 50-60 mile drive. A 550 sedan, IIRC. I wasn't too impressed with the stiff, perforated leather on the back seat, or the noise level, or the ride, but, since I sat behind the driver, I didn't get to see the speedo. When we got to his new plant, my buddies pulled in a few moments later, and our buyer got out of our rented Buick V6 and walked up to me and started telling me about his ride. "Thought we were going to fry that Buick." I asked why. "That damn fool Bala, was doing 90 most of the time!" Then, --- I was impressed.

Things have progressed tremendously since then, so if Mercedes has kept up like I expect, you've got yourself pretty nice ride, there. Good on yuh. I expect it'll keep a smile on your face when you're driving, just like my little Miata is doing for me.
30yrs at Big Blue - no career - 12 yrs as gunsmith - my only career - NRA Life - SASS member/Black Powder Only!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Enemy of the State

Shoulda kept the 220...
-Joseph Sobran

Current oil burners: MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510
Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '91 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6
Old 11-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Missy Good Wench ( Moderator)

The Benz is a pretty sweet ride, but all things being equal, I would have been just as happy with one of them Caddy pickup trucks.

This said, we have been chewing on the possibilities that exist a short 30 months from now when we can trade this C class in on a fresh lease.

We can get a newer model C class or upgrade to an E class or even and S class.

Mercedes definitely wants us to stay in the "Family", so we shall see.

Buddy of mine turned to the DARK SIDE (As he calls his black Merc) about 10 years ago and says he would never go back.

He used to drive Lincons, then Caddy's and had an Escalade pickup. Then tried the Merc GL series.

Having been in and around the auto industry for many many years I can certainly feel the difference in the Merc over say other similar sized vehicles to what we have now (C class)

The dissenters can howl all they like, but the butt dyno does not lie.

Really way too soon to tell what we will do..

Right now we are still dealing with SMILE PAINS ya know
Old 12-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, that is a nice car!

I wanted to 'stay in the family' but Merc doesn't have anything that'll get us in the HOV lane in our price point. (Think 80k+ IE double our current car cost)

We were waiting on the GLC 350e to come out in Canada but it's still not even on the website

By the time we're looking for our next car I hope Mercedes has caught up with the e-vehicles.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:06 AM

For sure... the Merc is not the least spendy in the box..

Hope you can get what you like.

Not sure what we are going to do next time (After the lease is up) But I have considered several options.

If the C class we have gives us exemplary service with ZERO issues, then we may just buy it.
The other thoughts are to bail from Merc totally and head back to the GM house and get an Equinox or ????

After having the Merc now for almost a month it's gonna be tough to give up the sweet, quiet and snorty ride of the C class in favor of anything else.

Getting a taste of how the JONES'S live can spoil ya .

Just gonna have to see what 3 years down the road brings us.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast

Yah, I've always been concerned with merc long term maintenance costs. So many complex plasticky bits... I'm not sure if I want to own one out of warranty...

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying ours while we have it...

Our next car will probably be another EV with a longer range. My next 'fun' car will probably be one of these: https://www.factoryfive.com/818/818c/ The only caveat is I'm not sure I'll fit... I'll need to shrink a couple inches in height and lose about 50lbs.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast

Robyn, I'm assuming your merc now has adaptive cruise control and parking and lane assist and all that.

Have you tried it, does it seem safe-ish to you?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:46 AM

Our C 300 4matic has the blind spot warning system.

The cruise seems to be like most other cruise systems I have used.

The parking assist as far as I am concerned is just another gizmo to dumb people down.

When I took my drivers test you had to be able to parallel park to pass the driving exam, NO EXCEPTION

Far too many people today can't parallel park on a bet...

The warning devices for fore, aft and blind spots is going to help.

That time when you have checked everything and then some clown zips into the spot that was clear 1/2 second ago and CRUNCH.. these tools will help.

I like the backup camera, but...they put mirrors on these things for a reason...

I use the backup camera as just another tool, but I trust my mirrors more.. (Old trucker thing )

Don't know anything about lane assist. I have seen blogs and videos on it, but this car seems to be just like everything I have driven to date.

Beyond the smooth ride and sure handling I am not impressed with the gizmos that do everything for the driver and negate the need for the driver to know how to do things. PARKING or backing up.

I was reading the other day on facebook, some gal was whining about her new car could not park itself as she did not know how.

CAN'T PARK.. NO DRIVERS LICENSE.. SIMPLE

Things I do like

The easy interface between my iphone and the Benz to allow calls and text mssg to be handled easily with a simple button on the steering wheel (Many new rigs have these features other than Benz)

Gizmos that do little but sell cars don't impress me much.

I have had an extreme hatred of the ABS systems (Stems from the mid 90's GM Burbs and such)

The system in this Benz is sweet, responsive and so far I don't even know it's there.
The 4 wheel disc brakes are a joy to use.

Climbed all over them the other day when some puke ran a stoplight in front of us and the Benz just squatted.

Weather was wet and nearly dark outside too.

I am guardedly impressed.

Still not sure whether we will get another Benz when the lease is up... Depends on several things...but for now it's all smiles.

Still hate the light beige interior though.

Fine for city folks with clean sterile living, but out here at the ranch WE HAVE MUD

Ahh well...all is good.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Just dug into to goodies on the Benz

I would seem that the C class has the Adaptive cruise and some of the other goodies.

My driving style likely has prevented the systems from activating at all.

I don't use cruise often, and only on wide open freeway running.

If traffic starts bunching up I drop the cruise out.

I have had a couple times that someone slowed rapidly and turned on a side street and there was a warning buzzer and a light on the dash flashed, but it was quick and then gone.

Likely the collision alert thing.

AS far as the cruise thing... I try hard to allow plenty of room ahead (Hate tail grabbers) so again the system did not get a chance to show itself.

I have not felt any tendencies of the car to move in the lane by itself (Auto correcting ??)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Enemy of the State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
That time when you have checked everything and then some clown zips into the spot that was clear 1/2 second ago and CRUNCH.. these tools will help.
The other day I was on a 2 lane country road, speed limit 55. I was in a bit of a hurry and the car in front of me was going about 40. Cars started bunching up behind us. When the passing zone came up I stomped on it and pulled into the other lane. So did the guy behind me...

Fortunately, his car wasn't any faster than mine.
-Joseph Sobran

Current oil burners: MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510
Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '91 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6