Thread: HELP lb7 wil not start when hot

Default HELP lb7 wil not start when hot

3-7-11
    Hard Hot Starts
    I Have A 2003 Gmc 2500 Hd Lb7 W/cal.emmissions Completly Stock 75000 Miles
    About 5 Months Ago I Had A Check Engine Light
    Code Said Glow Plug
    Replaced "all 8 Glowplugs" I Cant Be Sure. After That It Was Hard Starting.the Dealer Said They Would Diagnose It For Free. In 3 Hours First It Was The Fuel Regulator Then They Called And Said It Was The Injection Pump And If I Put Up $1500 They Would Replce It And If That Wasn't It They Would Give Me My Money Back.i Won't Pay For Parts Changers
    I Took The Truck Home And Found The Short Fuel Line Off The Filter Was Cracked I Replaced It And All Was Good For 2 Months
    Now It Starts Cold After 5 Second Of Cranking But When Its Hot It Will Crank But Not Start
    Any Ideas Out There
    Thanks For Reading
    Jt

I hope you did not pay for the glow plugs, there is a 10 yr gm warunty on them

Injectors is where I would start. This has been a common issue with LB7's and the 2003's were known for hot start issues low power, etc. My guess is that your return rates or "leakback" is excessive. It is worse when hot soaked and you just can't build enough pressure to allow the ECM to start pulsing the injectors.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

when the truck was at the dealer i asked about the injectors
    and was told no way
    and they started dicking me around 20 days before the warranty for the injectors was up
    now it would be on me
    i'm sure they would agree with you now about the injectors
    they had just eaten the glowplug replacment and they were looking for money to pay the mechanic so now my pump is gone-BS-
    on the scan tool the pump runs at or above the spec in the shop manual

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zbm2 View Post
    and was told no way
    and they started dicking me around 20 days before the warranty for the injectors was up
    Red flag. "No way" is about the biggest tale I have heard all day. There's definitely a way for the LB7. Find a dealer, not a stealer.

Read around on this forum and see for yourself.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by zbm2 View Post
    and was told no way
    now it would be on me
    i'm sure they would agree with you now about the injectors
    they had just eaten the glowplug replacment and they were looking for money to pay the mechanic so now my pump is gone-BS-
    on the scan tool the pump runs at or above the spec in the shop manual
    If you have a documented service visit before the injector warranty expired for a problem that is later identified as being bad injectors, you may have just cause to get them replaced under warranty. The important thing is getting that service visit on record for the same complaint before the warranty expired.

Jim