Thread: Transfer Case Fluid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Transfer Case Fluid

I have a 2003 2500HD with a Diesel and an Allison Transmission. The dealership told me it has a MP263 Transfer Case. I was also told to use Decron III in the transfer case, When I drained the old fluid, it was not red. It looked like motor oil.

Any suggestions?

Arrow

The original fill, and service fluid, should be ATF. The same stuff recommended for the Allison tranny. Motor oil, while it may have sufficient lubrication properties, is too heavy. If the TC seems to be operating normally, I suggest a fill with ATF, and a short change interval (maybe a few thousand miles). Don't look back. Odds are, no harm done.

On the other hand, if the lube was very thin (like ATF or thinner), you may have issues with the TC (contaminated fluid or an overheat issue). Was the fluid level normal? A series of events (however unlikely), could allow fluid to migrate from a leaking rear tranny seal into the front TC seal. I've seen it happen, but it's a million to one chance.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Transfer Case Fluid Change

Have a 263 Transfer Case. Was told to use Dexron III ATF Fluid. When I drained the old fluid out (original) it looked like oil. Is the Dexron III the corect fluid.

2003, 2500HD, Diesel, Allison Transmission

I just picked up an 04, and changed all my fluids. I put in Dextron VI on the advice of this forum. When it came out, it was pretty dark, but not as bad as the transmission. Mine has 173K, and I don't know when the diffs and transaxle fluids were changed. The filter on the tranny was dated 12/2006 so the tranny fluid could be as much as 5 years old.

Man you should have seen the front diff fluid...more like paste than fluid.
    Jon
    04 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax (LB7) 173K Miles
    97 Passat TDI 200K+ Miles
    00 Passat 1.8 150K+ Miles
    97 Corvette 110K+ Miles

I'm a Transynd user. There is non better IMHO. One thing I heard from a very reliable source is that there may be a compatibility issue with DexVI and the older input seals on the Allison. Dex VI is also said to solidify at a warmer temp than DexIII.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Dex VI is also said to solidify at a warmer temp than DexIII.
    ???

Meaning that at colder temps the IV won't flow as well as the III?

But the Dex IV is a full synthetic (at least as it is labelled at the local NAPA). Does that not mean it has better flow properties, hot and cold, than III? Isn't that why GM says to replace III with IV in the transmission?

I have a 2005. when i changed to fluid it was black as well. then changed it on a short interval and it was very dark. later on i had to replace the entire transfer case. the bushing had come loose and was spinning around inside , full of metal fillings and such. if it is very dark i would check it out. cost me over $2000 to get it rebuilt, should have just bought a rebuilt one, but did not reliaze all that was poched on it.
    2005 Silverado 2500HD CC 4X4 5-speed Allison KD transfer case upgrade Reflex Spray in Bed coating, Access tonneau cover, Banks Ottomind 6 Tuner with Power PDA, Banks Monster exhaust,Banks Ram air intake. Ultrastart remote starter,Blistein shocks,Mag-hytech deep trans pan, Pulling 1982 27.5 ft Golden Falcon TT 275,000 kms