Thread: 2003 (thin) bed & liner?

Question

I've searched the archives but can't seem to find an answer: will spraying in a liner help the super-thin bed walls & top of rails be more resistant to dents? How about cracking in the corners?

Has GM done anything about the cracking bed problems since last year? (doubt it, but had to ask)

I already have a sprayed liner, and an over-ther-rail tool box, so I guess it's a little late to add the reinforcing brackets...
    <b>2003 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4x4 CC LB! (Polo Green) </b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/53238125hQAlYl\" target=\"_blank\"><i>PICS HERE</i></a>

ARE there... Uh.. Is there a kit for fix'n them thin walls & flours in the truck. My Gal rides in the back and I'd sure hate fe here to tear up that pretty new bed, she just heavby enough to do that. ----------------

Accutally I have heard that the beds are a little stronger than last year. Someone had mentioned that GM had put just dab more metal in "certain" places for "added" strength.

Burner

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: Burner ]</p>
    2003 GMC SLT CC 4x4 SB-Cooper Tires-Speed Liner-Activator II-Full length ICI SS step bars B&W Goose & more to come
    -- Member #7527
    E-Mail --&gt;Twomuchplay(at)AOL(dot)com

Hmmm, you just reminded me of an observation I had this past weekend while drilling a hole for the seven-pin FW connector. When I drilled the hole in my 2001, I used a 2" wood hole saw and it went through like butter. No disernable damage to the inappropriate hole saw.

This past Sunday, same spot, same hole saw and wow. Lots of smoke, hot hole saw (destroyed it actually), didn't make it through. Happened to have another identical hole saw laying around and I destroyed it also, but managed to get enough body metal removed to punch it out.

I'm thinkin the metal on the '03 box is maybe TWICE as thick as the '01???

The place I'm refering to is just in front of the driver's side wheel well at about the two O'clock position (corner of the flat spot). The same metal you would want to beef up if you were installing a cross bed tool box?

Perhaps this also explains some of the weight difference I'm running in to. My 2001 and 2003 are identical, except for Duramax/Allison. Somewhere in this forum I read where the D/A added something like 250# over a gasser? How 'bout more like 600#?
    2003 Silverado 2500HD EC SB 4x4 D/A, Jordan 2020 Brake Controller,<br />Transfer Flow 45 Gal., Reese 16k FW hitch, 2001 Sunnybrook 27RKFS FW

I'd be mighty pleased if they actually made the beds a little better for 2003...
    <b>2003 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4x4 CC LB! (Polo Green) </b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/53238125hQAlYl\" target=\"_blank\"><i>PICS HERE</i></a>

Turbo Al Guest

Tranferred to Accessories forum.