Thread: Tire Question

Default Tire Question

Under similar conditions and loads that will not overload a “D” tire, will an “E” rated tire last longer (more miles) than the same size and brand of tire with a “D” rating?
    Thanks for your replys.

Wink

Good Question, I can't remember all of the tire ratings, but there is a compound rating that relates to tread wear. The load rating may help a little if they both have the same tread pattern but the hardness or softness of the rubber may have more to do with milage/life and wear than D or E and so on. As I'm sure you already know that a softer tire sticks to the road better and a harder compound isn't as good in corners or on wet roads. Softer compounds wear quicker. I can't prove it but I think a heavier tire does last a litlle longer because it takes the heat better and the sidewall doesn't flex as much. But a stiffer tire may cause less mpg due to more rolling resitance. I like the higher rating just in case, kinda like extra insurance.

Default Tires

Stick to the Manufacturer's recommende loadrange (should be posted on the door sticker), especially if you are up-sizing. The truck suspension & it's capabilities are tuned for that particular load range. The letter designation can still vary as far as carrying capacity is concerned. ie load range E, load index of 120 is capable of max loads of 3086lbs. Load range E, load index of 123 is capable of max loads of 3417 lbs. Definetely talk to a professional in you're area regarding you're specific needs.

I agree, but I ran a higher load range tire of the same size on our fiver than it came with because it kept blowing tires on almost every trip. We were within the gvw rating for the trailer and the axels were true. Sometimes I think the manufactures use the cheapest and lowest rated tire they can get away with. I didn't have anymore trouble after we went to the higher load rating.

Default Tire Question

The "D" rated tire will handle the loads I carry. I was just wondering if the "E" tire would last enough more miles to be worth the difference in the ride.

Thanks for those replys. Have a fun week.