Thread: DURAMAX RETROFIT

VINCENT-LANDSCAPING Guest

I am interested in retrofiting a duramax 6600 into a 91 chevy 3500 crew cab 4x4. How hard would this be? do I have to get drive shafts made? How much is there to wire, engine and Alison transmision. Does everything fit? or is there some pretty heavy fabrication? maybe a rough time estimate? any help or advice would be great.
    I am retrofiting everything out of a salvage truck. would it matter K2500 or K3500?
    why can you not get duramax 6600 with a standard trans.?

tanker Guest

Vincent, follow "More-Powers" latest project truck. an 88 model. Should be the same for your 91.
    Yes there are manual transmissions available behind the DuraMax, but I think you are much better off with the 1000 series Allison.

VINCENT-LANDSCAPING Guest

HAVING A LITTLE TROUBLE FINDING MUCH TECH. DATA THREW MORE POWERS LINKS. A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

More Power Guest

Arrow

Starting with a salvage truck is the way to go. You'll need most of the wiring harnesses, all of the various computers & modules, all of the fuse and junction blocks, I'd use the matching instrument cluster, and a new steering column uncomplicates things.

Actually, the 1995 or newer dash makes it easier to incorporate the new instrument cluster. The 1988-94 style dash is more difficult.

Aside from our 1989 Chevy K1500, I know of one other conversion currently running - a 1998 K3500 crew cab dually.

Patience and some fabrication & electrical skills are helpful. I'd recommend buying the wiring diagram books for your 1991 and the model year of your Duramax donor. You'll need them. [img]smile.gif[/img]

MP

esau5 Guest

Anyone have good ideas for how/where to obtain a salvage duramax truck?

I have a 93 K3500 that could sure use one.

More Power Guest

Arrow

I'm currently working on a retrofit book that takes you through the process of installing a Duramax/Allison into a 1988-98 C/K truck or Suburban. We've done it.

I hope to have the book completed in about a month. It'll answer all of your questions, and it'll show how to perform each step, from the mechanical aspects to the electrical/electronic areas. From source listings, to the dozens of parts scattered across your garage floor, to a running truck, it'll all be there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jim

esau5 Guest

That is great news.

My truck has sat a long time waiting for something. I have not been excited about putting a 6.5 back into it given the inherent problems and so-so performance. Going back to gas just doesn't seem right.

Of course the cost of a salvage duramax truck will be a factor, but I think you can count me in when the book is done. Seems to me the duramax would warrant the effort and the performance would sure be a nice "dessert" at the end of it.

I bet you'll sell lots of copies as I'm sure there's others like me who'd like to do it but are leary of pioneering the project.

Here's a smokin' deal on an LB7 - brand new for 6K!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-6-6...spagenameZWDVW
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

More Power Guest

Arrow

One of our longtime members in FL is in the process of Duramaxizing a 1998 Suburban... I'm sure we'll be seeing some of this exploits here. (as soon as I get the book to him) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jim

Originally posted by More Power:
    I'm currently working on a retrofit book that takes you through the process of installing a Duramax/Allison into a 1988-98 C/K truck or Suburban. We've done it.

I hope to have the book completed in about a month. It'll answer all of your questions, and it'll show how to perform each step, from the mechanical aspects to the electrical/electronic areas. From source listings, to the dozens of parts scattered across your garage floor, to a running truck, it'll all be there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jim
    Please count me in on the book.
    Are you taking pre-release orders?

I most interested in swapping a Duramax into a none GM vehicle.
    A Duramax would look, sounds and smell great under the hood of a J20 Jeep pickup.
    I've watch closely as fellow member DieselSJ installed a 6.5TD in a Grand Wagoneer.
    I think it my turn so take the next step, the ultimate Jeep Tow Rig, Duramax powered J20 3/4 ton pickup, maybe even go dually axles.

Would your book discuss what year Duramax donor to stay away from and which model years to seek out?
    Does the Duramax share the small block chevy mounting points...so that if a SBC will bolt up, a Duramax will bolt up?
    I have soooo many questions, I can hardly wait for your book! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Bryan Smith
    2004 KIA Optima: wife 's DD
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: my DD
    1993 GMC 3500 Vandura, 6.2L Diesel
    1982 J10: Replacement engine now sitting in the truck! No Cab Brow!
    1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

More Power Guest

Arrow

The trans bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as all other Chevy/GMC V-8's, so a TH400 or 4L80-E would bolt right up, as would the torque converter bolt pattern. Problem with that is the transmission input torque limit. You'd need to run the new G-van programming to limit hp & tq. I'd recommend running the Allison...

The motor mounts are way different. There'll be drawings in the book that you can use to fabricate what you'll need (easy to make) to allow the Duramax to mount to the frame just like a 6.5 or any other Chevy V-8.

As far as model years.... I'd concentrate on getting a complete engine/trans package deal - any year. Any of them would work, but the newer LBZ could be a little problematic getting the hood to close in a retrofit unless a significant body lift was part of the plan. The LBZ puts more stuff above the top of the engine...

You can send me an email, and I'll put you on the list for notification when the book is ready. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jim

[ 02-07-2006, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Originally posted by More Power:
    You can send me an email, and I'll put you on the list for notification when the book is ready. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Jim
    I sent you an email to add me to your list, to this address: turbo@TheDieselPage.com
    Bryan Smith
    2004 KIA Optima: wife 's DD
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: my DD
    1993 GMC 3500 Vandura, 6.2L Diesel
    1982 J10: Replacement engine now sitting in the truck! No Cab Brow!
    1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

So what happens with emission testing when you swap a diesel into a gasser or vice-versa. They have all the rules about not removing emission equipment and they use the VIN to identify what kind of motor it should be?

More Power Guest

Arrow

You'll need to visit your local DMV to make a change to the fuel selection on the vehicle's title (if going from gas to diesel). Beyond that, some states require that the newly re-engined vehicle meet the emissions specs for the model-year of the engine (assuming you're installing an engine newer than the vehicle).

Jim

question for Jim, if you have a cowl induction hood, as showed on my truck, will the LBZ Duramax fit into my suburban? i would really be interested in your book once you have it done, cause once i save up some money i think im going to put the dmax in my truck, just wondering if your book will include things like installing the intercooler, hooking up cruise control, and can i really use my original dash instead of having to change it?
    -------------------------------------------

1994 K2500 4x4 Suburban
    6.5 Turbo Diesel
    Pyro,Tranny,Oil,Diff temp Gauges, Boost Gauge
    FSD Cooler from my GM dealer
    Sweet sounding JK Exhaust
    Heath Chip
    Boost Controller
    Crystal Projection headlights, Turn signals and reflectors.
    Euro Tail Lights
    Cowl Induction Hood
    2" Lift
    305/70R/16 BF Goodrich All Terrains
    11.5" FF 3.73 Posi with Rear Disc brakes
    American Eagle 16x10 chrome wheels, style 145
    Alpine Stereo,DVD,Navigation System, and Alarm
    Indigo Blue Metallic
    Pics of my truck - http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...=anthony1982&x

More Power Guest

Petrella,
    The cowl hood doesn't do much to produce extra room because of the internal bracing/framework... just like what the factory hood has.

Gale Banks thought I needed his twin turbo setup, but there's just no way.... without lots of fabrication (or a new carbon fiber clip-on... ).

The book is up to about 60+ pages now... Still have a few more diagrams to work into shape.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jim

Default Duramax Swap

Did you finish the swap book and if so how do I get a copy?
    I am using a 06 Van as a donor for my 2000 2500 HD 4x4 crew cab.