Thread: 06 LBZ, 6 Speed Allison cooler lines leaking

Default 06 LBZ, 6 Speed Allison cooler lines leaking

Just crawled under my truck this afternoon, and i noticed that my tranny cooler lines are leaking ATF. On both hoses right where the hose crimps on to the aluminum pipe that runs to the cooler, i got it running down my frame and its taking the paint with it. Truck only has 7500 miles on it! My buddy has the same truck as me but dually, sure enough his are leaking too!, crawled under my uncles truck which is the exact same truck as mine, also 2006, his are just starting to sweat and hes only got 4500 miles on his. Looks like a common problem. What bothers me is that the dealer will change them and then they will probably leak again!, anyone else got this problem?

Anthony
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB SLT LBZ/6 Speed
    Dark Pewter Leather and Power Sunroof
    305 70R/16 tires on Eagle 16x10 rims
    Chrome wire mesh grille
    Alpine Stereo, Navigation, and flip down rear screen
    Autometer Cobalt gauges
    Mag-Hytec Diff cover
    pics of my truck - http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5617&members=1

Some aftermarket dude needs to market a set of ATF lines with AN fittings.

We did a story on the 6.5 engine oil cooling lines a year or two ago (they have the same problem). The original crimped sleeves were split with a Dremel cutoff wheel, then a HD clamp was used over the split sleeves to apply a leakproof amount of clamping force. As reported in the 6.5 forum, NAPA makes the clamps (look like miniature muffler clamps).

By the way, the Allison ATF cooling lines are made from 5/8" steel tubing - not aluminum (at least for the 2001 model year trucks).

Jim

my 2006 truck needed the line that goes from the front mounted cooler to the rad , it started leaking around 15000 miles. Good thing is they dont blow out just drip, maybe a QT in 2000 miles.
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

Default Cooler lines

Found my lines leaking and took to dealer for fix. My 07 ccdad classic has only 6000 miles also. Is this a problem they can not fix or just bad parts. Never noticed this with my 02 and 05 trucks. Right now mine is fixed, but will wait an see
    SatchMax
    Lubbock, Tx
    07 ccdad with juice and 4 inch exhaust

Arrow

The manufacturers like the "snap-in" oil/ATF cooling lines cuz they speed assembly. Unfortunately, they aren't as leak-free as we'd like. The Allison and various coolers use a bunch of them. Sure would be nice for the aftermarket to offer a set using all AN fittings...

In a month or two, there'll be an installed base of over 1M Duramax 6600 powered vehicles....

Jim

6500 miles and so far so good. I just checked and they look good. I'll keep my fingers crossed. But you can be sure as shootin' I'll be back to the dealer first sign of a leak.
    Speed costs money. How fast can you afford?