Thread: 50 state emissions or no?

Default 50 state emissions or no?

Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing an 05 workhorse chassis that had an LLY engine installed as new. The unit is currently in Colorado but I want to bring her into CA. As it's just the chassis and running gear there's no glovebox to check out the label if she's a 50 state or not. Is there another way to tell if she has the gear to pass smog into Cali? I know she has an egr and cat

Thanks

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Unless it was originally delivered in CA, or ordered with CA emission, it will be 50-state (federal) emission equipped. At worst, you'll have to pay the CA emission waiver fee to import, and it will have to be inspected (applies to all 1998+ Diesel models now, regardless of emission equipment). You can check the delivered RPO's by the VIN at any GM dealership. They may or may not charge a minimal fee for this. There's really no way around this (since about 1996 model Diesels), as DMV keeps a record of all CA emission VIN's. Even if you swap the PCM/ECM, the VIN won't be on file as a CA emission vehicle. There may be other issues as well, if it's registered as commercial-use by a business. Because it's a non-operating chassis, you may not have to pay more than the the title taxes until it is inspected, certified and tagged. Contact DMV for more info on this ever-changing "grey area".
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the reply. Sadly I only have the VIN for the chassis which was made by workhorse(who are now gone). Not sure GM would have this but worth a shot I guess.

The current owner is trying to get the serial number from the engine but is having difficulty in doing so. I know the engine has an egr, a cat and a muffler what other equipment does CA want to see on there? I'm new to diesels

edit.... Any idea where the engine serial number is located?

Thanks
    Last edited by Leithy; 08-12-2015 at 10:49.

Arrow

The engine number will offer no relevant info. Don't worry about it. CA hasn't bothered with engine/chassis matching for decades. Only motorcycles.

The Workhorse chassis is a GM product, supported by GM. They will have the VIN on file at the dealer. "Workhorse" is just a brand name for the GM chassis and powertrain, with no passenger compartment. The VIN plate will be on the frame. If this chassis was delivered with a different engine or powertrain, you'll only be titling the chassis. The engine (and emission system) won't matter until you register it as an operating vehicle.

CA emissions on the 2005 is not the same as the federal. Through the 2007 M/Y, CA emission Duramax engines have a different glow plug system and ECM programming. 2007.5 and later have only different programming. Unless it was originally ordered with CA emissions, it will not have CA emissions. If it was ever exempted/waived, it's always exempted/waived. The DMV will tell what's required to get it titled. A finished and operating vehicle will require registration, which is different. Until you can actually drive it to DMV for inspection, you'll only have a temporary title and a bunch of paperwork. This will likely require a VIN verification, which can be completed by any CA peace officer. For the best result, contact CHP and request a VIN verification (once you get the paperwork and verification form from DMV, CHP won't bring any forms). They'll send an officer to the location you request.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com