Thread: Duramax diesel DEF issues

Default Duramax diesel DEF issues

Hello I have read some of the comments concerning the Duramax Diesel. I will start by saying that I work for an EMS service We have 4 of the express cutaway vans 2 are the 4500 series and 2 are the 3500 series. the 2 4500 have given no problems at all They have been great they are 08 and 09 models. We have 2 2012 model 3500's and one has done good while the other has been nothing but a pain in my side. it all started at 38,600 miles. A message light came on telling us that the vehicle was cleaning the exhaust and to keep driving until it went out. It never went out after about 50 miles of driving. Took to dealer and it was still under warranty. They told us it was the exhaust particulate filter and that warranty did not cover it due to it being a maintenance issue. Ok how do I maintain it. that filter was $1400 dollars. They did however manage to get it fixed with a warranty. the vehicle now has 52,000 miles on it and is in the shop for the 10th time for this same issue of the message coming on and telling us the vehicle is cleaning the exhaust drive until message goes off. Each time it has done this there is a different problem. the last 3 times we just kept driving it and the it suddenly went to reduce power mode and we could not get over 30 mph. stop on side of road shut it off runs good for about a minute then goes back to reduced power mode. It is in the shop now being looked at yet once again. Gm has fixed it a couple times but it throws a different code every time they look at it. I have heard that there are ways to take this DEF crap off the truck and not hurt it. Anyone know how that is done. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

It isn't difficult to defeat/delete the emission system. The problem is the legalities. If this is an emergency vehicle by DOT definition, you may be able to get a waiver for that. If not, you would probably be better served at a different dealer. At least get an area rep involved (call GM customer service).

BTW, the emission system has a warranty that's unique and separate from the OEM vehicle warranty. You also have lemon law options. 10 service dept. visits for the same (unresolved) complaint may qualify.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

It would he helpful to see a list of the trouble codes these vehicles are producing.

I do know that Ford had a long list of problems with their newer DPF-equipped emergency vehicles, that were mostly related to extended idling times. Your 4500 series vans may be better off because of fewer emissions control system components.

Like DmaxMaverick mentioned, if you can get a waiver, you should be able to modify the emissions systems in the 3500 series vans (to duplicate that found in the 4500 series vans).

The emissions can be pretty tricky with these vehicles. Most choose to delete them completely. I'm one of the few that prefers to keep the stuff intact whenever possible. I have done both ways. My own 2012 is running clean with 700 miles between regens, better response and performance and just plain happy.

I am more than willing to help coach LML owners through their emissions woes, but have to earn a living at the same time so I'm trying to do more one on one and see how that works.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!