Thread: Transmission Heat

OK, so I was crawling around under my 05 3500 today. Noticed something that has me wondering. The transmission return line from the radiator/cooler runs next to the exhaust down pipe. They are only 3/4 of an inch apart! With the down pipe at temps in the range of 1000, how can that keep from adding a lot of heat back to the returning trany fluid? Looks as if this would be especially true when the truck in not moving. Should there be a heat deflector between the down pipe and the trans return line to help keep the returning fluid from picking up extra heat?

I'll have to check mine as well, I added a nice heat shield on my 95 suburban, to protect the rear heater and A/C lines above the 4" exhaust.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs