Thread: Allison/syn oil/instruments

Hello all...
    I am new to this forum and am a full-time RVer. I've put 32k miles on my truck over the last 2 years, about half of it pulling my trailer (see specs below). I spend a lot of time in western mountains where 8%+ grades are common. I tow with Juice on power level #1, and limit my EGTs to 1250F with Attitude. I would appreciate comments on the lollowing issues.
    1. Am I doing any damage to Duramax or Allison towing w/Juice in setting #1? What would it take to tow in #2? (tranny mods, exhaust, waste-gate, etc.)
    2. I am very close to the 3042 lb limit on my rear 245 tires. Am planning on changing to 265s (Mich XLT). Will I need to have Allison reprogrammed? If so, who will do it?
    3. I have been using Delo 400 oil and changing every 3k miles w/filter. Would like to switch to synthetic and extend to 8k miles. Any oil and/or filter recommendations? Amsoil? Syn for Allison?
    4. About 20% of the time my panel instruments do not work when I start my truck. If I pull the associated 10A fuse 2 or 3 times, they start working. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance for your commetns.

Regards, Jim
    \'03GMC2500HD,LB7,4x4,ext cab,SB,Juice/Attitude,Unifoam,PacBrake,BrakeSmart,Bilstein,Airl ift.<br />\'04 New Horizons 5th WHL,15K lbs,disc brakes,G614 tires.

Hi Jim, Welcome to the BB.

Anything you do that increases power can have an affect on durability/longevity of the engine/trans, but I doubt it's a big deal when towing on level one. If you limp the Allison, you'll know you're pushing it too hard. ATF fluid color would also be an indication.

The various Aftermarket Power Programmers all allow you to update the vehicle computers with the correct tire size.

The color of the oil (soot accumulation) is a good indicator of when to change the oil. If the oil is still translucent - though darkened by soot, you can likely go a while longer before changing the oil. An engine oil analysis is the best method to gage oil life. With synthetic, you should be able to run for 25-50% longer than when using petroleum simply because the rings seal better and reduce the soot accumulation. To reduce warranty complications, run an API certified oil - rated CG-4, CH-4 or CI-4.

If your instrument panel problem is reproducible, I'd have your dealer look at it (if in warranty). If not in warranty, I'd measure 12v power and grounds to the panel when it's malfunctioning. If there is a power problem, you'll need to solve that first. If it's not a power or ground problem, it could be a bad instrument panel.

MP

White Truck Guest

Your instrument cluster may need an updated calibration for this condition.
    Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Gauges Inoperative (Reprogram IPC) #03-08-49-020 - (Nov 19, 2003)

DKB