Thread: Cold weather and smoke when starting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

I did the glow plug over ride several years ago and found that with the new plug you get more smoke, but when I push the button and let those quick heat heat up good and long I get minimal smoke. If It does smoke a bit just push the button and the smoke goes away.
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81

Quote Originally Posted by 16gaSxS View Post
    I did the glow plug over ride several years ago and found that with the new plug you get more smoke, but when I push the button and let those quick heat heat up good and long I get minimal smoke. If It does smoke a bit just push the button and the smoke goes away.
    I wish there was a way to do this with an OBII!
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Default Manual Glow Plugs w/ OBDII

Does the PCM throw a code if the OEM glow plug relay is activated manually?

If that's a problem, couldn't you set up a separate relay to independently power the glow plugs with a push button?

I'd think the very common Ford starter relay would handle that amperage load OK. The same relay type that Robin suggested on the recent starter thread.
    1995 K2500, 8600 GVWR, 6.5TD, NV4500, 3.73:1, 18:1, balanced, Fluidampr, DSG timing gears, '97 cooling upgrades, 2100 psi-pop injectors, 4" exhaust, ceramic coated exh manifolds/turbine housing/SS crossover pipe, Autometer: pyrometer, boost, oil temp, oil press, fuel press, & water temp gauges, remote oil filter, B&M plate-style oil cooler w/ braided SS oil lines

Hey EEMBRY

Has your truck every given you grief when it's hot and you shut it off for 15 - 20 mins. and try to restart it? Is it hard to start or it won't even start? If this has happened it could be a sign the IP is getting weak. This could also contribute to excess smoke when cold temps are happening.
    93 2500 - best truck I ever owned
    Sold

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4 EC SB Dark Blue
    3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD
    Was S then F code now SSD ECM (used - it was cheap - not my first choice)

Never any problems when warm or hot only cold.

sorry about the hijack, eembry - i'll start another thread.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by SmithvilleD View Post
    Does the PCM throw a code if the OEM glow plug relay is activated manually?
    The PCM gets upset if it sees power to the glow plugs when it's not expecting it, or when it doesn't see power and it is expecting it. I think all years monitor the same line that powers the wait to start light. I suppose you couldisolate that, but a separate relay by itself would not do the trick.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Well I changed the fast idle a little to the fast side and thought I would see if it made any difference. Also changed the fuel filter. If I don't depress the accelerator it's not too bad with the smoke but if I depress the accelerator to set the advance and the fast idle look out it is smoke city. This has to give someone a clue as to what's going on here. I started to advance the timing a little to see if that would help but if when you depress the accelerator advances the timing and that makes the smoke worse would it be the same if you manually advance the timing or is it a different situation? I'm confused. I still think it is something simple because the truck runs too well and starts too well under warmer conditions. Could there be anything in the wiring harness that could be breaking down? What do you think?

Eddie

I am suspect of the injector pop pressure being too low and the spray pattern being poor.

How many miles on the squirts??
    Were these rebuilts or >>>?????

The issue of more smoke with throttle is about right as the amount of fuel increases too, hence more smoke..

What was the POP pressure set to??

Have you turned the IP slightly to advance the timing a tad ??

RC
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Is your cold idle/advance switch working? You should have 12v to the cold advance solenoid and high idle solenoid when engine temp is below 100ºF with ign sw on. If you have power, check to see if the advance solenoid clicks when you remove/apply power(might be a low voltage problem also).

I think it is in your cold advance system. Its been awhile since I had the top off of one of them, IIRC the advance solenoid restricts the fuel return outlet on the top of the pump, you might unscrew the return nipple and see if you notice anything wrong(seams like it has a pressure relief valve in it for when the solenoid has the main return blocked).

My 93, when the temp switch was bad, it would miss and blow alot of fuel smoke, untill it gradually warmed up. My 92 is a different animal though, it still cranks good without it, I think it works now(got me wondering, I'll have to check). 6.5's are like people, there's no two the same and they got there own personality.