Thread: how often do you change coolant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I was wondering how often we should be changing our coolant and how it is done. What precautions do we need to take? Thanks for your help
    2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison<br />285/75/16 on Eagle Rims <br />EGT,Boost Autometer Guages

mdrag Guest

Arrow

D/A,

GM recommends 5 years/150K miles service interval on the Dex-Cool used in the Dmax cooling system. Read More Power's TEXACO/HALVOLINE DEX-COOL article in the Member's Area for more detailed information on this product.

jbplock outlined the procedure for draining, refilling, and purging air from the Dmax cooling system in the COOLANT FILTERS TOPIC . His post should answer your questions about the proper procedures to follow.

Thanks, but I was hoping for more details on how to change it out. I dont have the helms manual. I am not interested in a filter just a complete drain and fill. I see there is some type of bleeders. Thanks again for your help.
    2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison<br />285/75/16 on Eagle Rims <br />EGT,Boost Autometer Guages

jbplock Guest

D/A,

Is this what you were looking for? It was burried in the Filter Topic...

The method I used is as follows:

Flush the system by draining the radiator, refilling with distilled water and purging air.
    Repeat this three times (it may be faster to remove the plugs on the block) and after the third cycle add approx 11 quarts of DexCool , purge air and top off one last time.

Per the Helms manual the air is purged by cycling the engine to 3000 RPMs several times with the cap off and thermostats open (engine hot). At this point I close the cap and take a ride around the block and top off one more time. Each time the engine is cycled to 3000 RPMs, the coolant level in the expansion tank drops, then rises as the RPMS fall. When all the air is purged the coolant level in the tank doesn't drop as the RPMs are cycled.

Hope this helps..

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again for your help. I will probly be doing this soon.