Thread: How to improve MPG in '02 6.6L duramax???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to improve MPG in '02 6.6L duramax???

I have an '02 Duramax in a Chev Silv 2500HD 4x4 crew cab running 15w40 Amsoil and Amsoil air filter with a Superchip set at Performance Tow (BTW...the superchip made NO difference in my MPG at any of the 3 settings) - getting 17mpg in town -19 mpg hwy. at 75mph (average).

How can I improve the MPG?
    Has anyone tried a scoup in the hood to force air in or a bigger exhaust to reduce back pressure?

Thank you in advance for your help! PJvH

Talking

Grow wings and only drive into the wind.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Arrow Drive slower....

That's a good one...

Install an EGT gauge (pre-turbo pyro installation), then alter your driving habits in ways that keep the EGT's at or below 600 degrees... You'll see a significant MPG improvement.... In my truck, that's about 55-mph on flat highway with no winds...

Jim

MP I know your right, but I think I would go nuts if I tried driving across the country or across Texas driving 55. Ain't goonna happen.

PJvH, I don't think either of those items would help mileage. Its all about getting the most out of the fuel your right foot in demanding and keeping weight and wind resistence to a minimum. Easy starts accelerate slowly, let the TC lock up before shoving down on the petal so that slippage is minimized.Also one of the most overlooked things is to not back off the accelerator too quickly. Try not to use the engine as a brake, just start easing back slightly and glide down in speed. I think your mileage is pretty good for the speed. Oh yeah drive 55, Noooooo Nooot Tttthhhhaaaatt Ssssslllllloooowww..

Add about 5 more pound of air in the tires also helps. Doesn't hurt the tires any either, I just turned 80,000 miles on the original Bridgestones that came on the truck this morning.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Arrow

I think it would be a good exercise to aim for 600 degrees EGT, and then do everything possible to the truck and driving habits to raise MPH. Of course, tires, external accessories, weight, driving habits and other factors can all be tweaked to raise MPH, while maintaining the 600 degree limit.

It could require a a change in driving techniques to maximize fuel economy.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 06-09-2006 at 13:15.

Slowing down to only 65 average would likely bring your mpg up 1 mpg.

Have you considered a tonneau cover to smooth out airflow? They look nice, too.

A front air dam and lowering your front torsion bars (and getting a re-alignment) might cut air under the truck.

Run all synthetics - engine, tranny, transfer, diffs.

Road tread tires, not mud/snow traction types.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K