Thread: '03 LB7 dead!

Default '03 LB7 dead!

Welp, at 129,040 miles the truck took her last breath and is at shop. Last week she started running very ruff at idle and started blowing white smoke. I knew the injectors were going to go out sooner or later because my milage dropped off to 15mpg about a year and a half ago. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and just got a call. 5900 bucks! Fuel inside the crankcase so need to replace all 8 injectors and the cp3 is going out. Had to call up the girlfriend and cancel out tahoe skiing trip. Luckally I got most of my christmas presents bought already. Have a feeling this isn't going to be a fun christmas ... On the upside, my mileage should come back up to 22-23mpg right?

I wonder how they can test the CP3 with bad injectors? These dealers sure know how to make money in the service dept. We've actually been taking some injector and head gasket jobs and getting things done replacing more and often better parts for less $.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Would tell them to replace the injectors and leave the pump alone, chances are you'll drive it 7 more years on the same pump.
    I have put about 10,000 miles on a new set of injectors and can't get it to get as good on mileage as it did before. Getting about 1.5 to 2 miles less running unloaded. But towing it dumps in a lot more fuel than it used to, but it sure runs better has more power, so I'm not complaining.
    I was going to let Kennedy do my injector replacement and some other things, but it started making too much oil all of a sudden and I didn't want to risk driving it that far with too much fuel being dumped into the engine, afraid it might sieze up the turbo bearings or piston so I got a local dealer to do it in Texas. The guy did a really good job, really clean, no leaks and it's running better than it ever did. Good Luck.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Default What Dealer??

I'm in San Marcos and have had Chuck Nash do warranty work.....always looking for a back up.

Thanks, Larry
    Former 2003 Chev. D/A CC, Snug Top shell, Prodigy, 2003 Arctic Fox 30U, Alternator mt. fuel filter.....basically stock truck.

2012 Ram Megacab 3500, Snug Top, same trailer, stock truck

GO DUCKS

GOD BLESS THOSE WHO PROTECT AND SERVE!

What about the extended waranty gm sent letters about, supposed to be 200000miles

7 yrs has all of the LB7's past this special policy.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

oops thought they extended the injector to 200,000 10yr like the glow plugs

Well, they didn't come out and say the pump was shot. They told me the injectors were and the Pressure Regulator needed to be replaced. But, because of the mileage they would recommend replaceing the entire cp3 b/c it is only 200 dollars more than the PR. So, seeing as I dont know much about the inner workings of the fuel system I said sure whatever. Whats 200 dollars on top of 5+G's? On a side note they didn't reconnect the neg battery terminals correctly and it caused the truck to start acting up when I was up in the mountains chasing hound dogs on a bear. Was pushing through a foot of new snow when the volt meter started swinging between 12-18 volts and the clock kept resetting itself. Had to leave the dogs and run down the mountain to fix it (didn't know that was the problem and thought my alternator was going out).

Mileage was 17.3 stock freeway with 1000lbs in the bed for 400 miles. Then connected my banks and it went to 19.45 for the next 300 miles home. Also got 13mpg with banks 6gun towing an 18' trailer with only around 4K pounds up a mountain. Then got 10.3mpg without the banks towing 2 quads in about a foot of snow and ice up a mountain.