Thread: Oil Pump Priming?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Oil Pump Priming?

Okay, here's a question for the masses:

I've gone the route on previous (gasser) engines of dissassembling a distributor to make an oil-pump priming tool. On my 6.2, I just used a 5/16" x 1/4" drive socket, and a long socket extension (the locking kind, so it won't fling off the socket into my block) and spun it with my electric drill.

The engine got oil to the top of the driver's side in about 45 seconds. After 2 runs of nearly 15 minutes each, there is still not oil to the top of the passenger's side. Looking down the vacuum pump hole, you can see oil shooting across from driver's to passenger's side, and not quite lining up with a passage on the passenger's side. Is this oil supposed to line up with that hole? My understanding was that these holes were drains. Does using the vacuum pump shaft over the socket/extension somehow help oil get to the passenger side?

I may have a fundamental mis-understanding of the path that the oil takes through the engine, or I may just be jittery that my multi-thousand dollar investment is flawed. Either way, I would appreciate the input of the group. It would be nice to see this truck alive again before I die.

Note: I've had similar things happen in 350 gassers, and have just started them by pouring oil on the valves and not caring. They always lubed within a few seconds. The diesel is so much more expensive, that I'd rather not do that.

I DID soak the lifters in oil for about 3 days before installing them, but that was almost 3 weeks ago.

Thanks again!

-
    Nate

Arrow

You need to gut a vacuum pump for the priming trick. You were lucky to get oil up to any side. The pump shaft blocks a gallery port. Good practice (pre-priming), though.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks, I suspected as much when I saw the oil coming across sideways like that. Fortunately, I know the pump works really well, spinning the drill anything past 1/2 speed caused a beautiful fountain of oil from the pump hole!

-Nate