Thread: Running 15* hotter after Thermostat replacement

Default Running 15* hotter after Thermostat replacement

Original owner 160K LBZ 06
    Noticed a couple weeks ago truck was barley getting to 185*. A code was than thrown and it was the not making temp /thermostat code.
    Replaced both with GM confirmed part numbered items along with new upper rad hose.
    Truck ALWAYS ran around 192*. Now it is running close to 210* and swinging down to upper 190's and back up to 210*. tried bleeding but I do not know the procedure nor have had any success.
    Thanks In advance for any help.
    2006 GMC Crew Cab 6.5 Bed
    LBZ
    Skippack, PA

I assume the stats were in pretty non descript white boxes with a simple label?

From there it would be nice to know what the actual ECT is on the digital data bus. If the stats are the genuine real deal I don't think I would worry too much about it. You'll probably see a nice nudge in mpg.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Yes, they were in non descript white boxes with codes, scan bar and were made in Japan. Taking an annual run up in the Mountains, not like out west, and not towing, just hauling ass and trash. I have run it about 125 miles since installing the stats in stop and go thru highway and everything is GTG. It never ran this high under the same conditions but it does feel a bit more nimble. I take care of this rig and want it to last so I am worried about it running hotter than it should.
    Thanks for posting.
    BW
    LBZ
    Skippack, PA

What is the proper thermostat temperature/operating temperature for an 2006 LBZ?
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Arrow

205-220F, if it can be maintained. If it is manageable under all conditions, it will be at ideal temp. Hot is only a problem if it can't be controlled. As John said, higher temps is more economical, as long as your system is up for it (working properly, no more). 210 is nothing to worry about.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, truck is in great shape and the cooling system is GTG. Maybe it never was running at the proper temp. I do know that I never enjoyed the MPGs that some of my friends manage.
    I will post back after my trip up to the upper Delaware River.

thanks Again,
    BW
    LBZ
    Skippack, PA

Ok, after bleeding the coolant , outside air Temp 88* ,running 75/85MPH on the highway and 45/55 country road thru the PA / NY Appalachian Mtns. My rig ran 205* with little fluctuations towing nothing. 2.5 hour run up and then back. I screwed up the MPG tracking with a neglected resetting of the trip OD\

I will post back MPG based on my usual travel.
    LBZ
    Skippack, PA