Thread: Duramax crate motor cost ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi all,
    Have been browsing the diesel pages for a couple of years and then decided to join up last year. My question is i am contemplating a duramax (LLY) and ZF 6 speed conversion for my Landrover ute, or flatbed i think you call them in USA and want to find out about the cost of a new one as i am not getting much help in Australia. Can anyone tell me if you can buy one outright from GM and how much you would have to pay in US dollars.Have got a 6.2 in my 1988 range rover and want to put something a bit more up to date in the Landrover.Much appreciated if someone can help me.

Garry.
    1988 Range Rover 6.2L Chev diesel.
    2001 Land Rover Discovery TD5.
    1997 Land Rover Defender 130 single cab TDI300 set up for the outback.
    2001 Land Rover Defender 130 Twin cab about to be Duramaxed!!

I think a crate from GM is close to $10000, and that doesn't include wiring, computer etc. Your best bet is eBay, I have seen complete low mile engines sell for $5000.
    99 K2500 GMC Ext Cab, 6.5TD, Heath ECM reflash, TDC Offset -1.80, Bumped Optic, FSD Isolator, Turbo Master, KD 3.5" Exhaust, 4.10s and 33x11.50, Intercooler is next.
    98 Burb 350 1/2T/4l60/246/10Bolts - Wifes Ride
    80 Olds Cutlass 6.2/Studded/700R4/12Bolt 3.30s/IP=4544 Juiced by JK/Best MPG=30
    79 Olds Cutlass, 410ci/700R4 - Currently Restoring
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo, currently 12PSI max boost
    39 Chevy Rat Rod
    2004 Sportsman 600
    2002 Scrambler 500
    2007 Sportsman 90
    2003 Kazuma 50
    2001 XR50
    1990 Murry 46"
    43 Total pistons!
    Email= Dr.Diesel@gmail.com WA9SDJ

Thumbs up

Thanks for your quick responses guys!! I have been watching ebay in the past but was was worried about security and shipping something from overseas. Plenty of companies will rip you off here in OZ and did not want to get burnt!! For some dumb questions now, as there is only a few Duramaxes in Australia i can not crawl underneath one to see what i am up for!!In undertaking such a conversion what would i require to get the thing to run beside ECU and normal sensors. Is the dash a requirement because of getting codes or just plug in Tech 2 if it plays up?? Thanks guys.

Garry

Arrow

First and foremost, you must acquire a service manual set and wiring diagram manual for the model year of your engine package.

A matching model-year instrument panel cluster is not required, but is recommended. The IPC is part of the class II serial data loop, and makes troubleshooting and engine monitoring a whole lot easier.

I'd also recommend using a matching model-year steering column. It'll have all the correct ignition switches and other controls that the ECM expects/needs.

You must have the ECM (engine control module), TCM (transmission control module if you're using an Allison), BCM (body control module) for Passlock II security control, and TCCM (transfer case control module) if using a pushbutton NVG263 transfer case. Plus all related wiring harnesses, fuse panels, junction blocks, and related bracketry.

MP

MP,
    I will be installing the duramax in a non gm vehicle. I am thinking of LLY and ZF six speed and getting local engineering firm to make an adaptor for me to bolt up to Ladrover LT230 (Constant 4WD). Will probally use GM IPC as land rover dash is rubbish. Will get service manuals and wiring diagrams first to give me an idea what will be required. Had a quick look at those web links you posted and will contact one of them when i am ready. Might be easier to get a whole truck that has been rear ended, then can use all radiator,intercooler etc??

Thanks Garry.

Having been the owner of many 88's and several 109's (Series II A's) with the little diesel - I am very familiar with the rigs. Not sure that the drivetrain can handle the DMAX and unless you are going to do extensive body work - there is no room. I would suggest an alternative - maybe a 4BT Cummins - your site.... http://www.cummins.com/au/pages/en/p...uction/b39.cfm
    Unless you are careful-I'm afraid you are about to enter a brave new era of "chase the weak part" as the running gear for Rovers was not designed with anything like you are suggesting. The specs for the 2.25 4 cyl diesel are as follows:

40 KW @ 4000 rpm
    140 NM @ 1750 RPM

that converts to 61 HP and 103 ft lbs - Oh Yes those numbers are correct... http://www.landyonline.co.za/specs/series2.htm
    I mean can you say.. "throw that squirrel another nut"
    But who knows - if you throw enough money at it -well maybe NASA will buy it!

And her's a lady who lives where I do - and they converted a 109 to an American V-8....gas BUT a fantastic DETAILED list....even Diesel info --outstanding for your needs.
    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/LR/V8Conversion.htm

Oh BTW - this is a great site for converting almost anything....
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/power.htm

[ 01-13-2005, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]
    01 Dodge 4x4 CC - Twins - EDM 4.0 injectors - AFE Megacannon-Magnaflow-FASS-CAM-Ported-ATS Manifold-Head Studs-Triple Disc-full gauges - Edge Drag Comp - No DRUGS or Water - Bombed - 557 HP, 1135 ft lb latest dyno (Jan 05)

Arrow

I received the following email this morning. If anyone is interested, I can forward your email address to them. MP
    ========================================

Dear Sir.

I am settled in Colombia, South America. Last year our association was planning to move to Paraguay crossing the Andes mountains (up to 4,000 mts.) and driving on plains at sea level and high temperatures. In order to do that we were renewing an old Chevy Van C-30 model 1979 and we were to install a Duramax/Allison on it.

We made contact with Isuzu Motors and they sent us to a dealer in Miami and they had a new Duramax/Allison package on hand, so we bought it, but we found a series of difficulties that made impossible for us to continue conditioning the van.

So, in this moment the engine is in Miami and we are not needing it. Do you think there is a possibility of selling the engine there? Would you be able to help us find a person to buy this package? If so, what do we have to do? We have all documents in order, a person there to negotiate with and of course, you could verify the engine and transmission condition before any deal is made.

All your help is very valuable. We are looking forward to your answer to this letter.

Very truly yours,
    TATIANA FERNANDEZ
    ========================================

Jim Brzozowski Guest

More Power,

Is there anything you don't know? Amazing!

2dogs wrote:
    Having been the owner of many 88's and several 109's (Series II A's) with the little diesel - I am very familiar with the rigs. Not sure that the drivetrain can handle the DMAX and unless you are going to do extensive body work - there is no room. I would suggest an alternative - maybe a 4BT Cummins - your site....
    Thanks for those links!! I appreciate the points you have raised and have considered them. I remember how much fun i had squeezing the 6.2 in my Range Rover !!! The Australian Army uses modified Landrovers in Australia with 4DB1 Isuzu with widened cabs and wheel track.I am basically am going to rebuild the whole vehichle, with Australian made Maxi drive diffs and only use the Land rover transfer case as have to keep the constant 4wd to keep the authorities happy.I am trying to source an ex army cab or modify mine to same specs.
    My father put a perkins 6.247 in his series 11A Dormobile back in 1980 and that is still going. Toyota has the market sown up here in Australia as they have had 6 cylinder diesels out for years.
    Was originally going to put a 6.5 turbo in my ute but then heard about the Duramax and was impressed with some of the reports about it from the Diesel Pages. Hopefully can make some progress on an engine in the next couple of months. Have to organise trailer to tow behind the Range Rover for work so i can take the ute off the road. Sorry about long post!!!

Regards Garry.

Hi folks,
    More Power wrote:
    I agree with Andy. In addition, you might contact any number of large auto recycling centers here in the States. They have been offering Duramax engine packages that'll contain most items you'd need. Try these:

www.spaldingautoparts.com
    www.strickerbros.com
    www.gandrautoparts.com
    I contacted the last two links two above and got a response back from www.gandrautoparts.com. Does not seem to be many LLY/ZF combination around!! My question is can i get an engine that had an Allison behind it and buy a ZF in Australia or would this send the computer to have a hernia??? No-one in Australia knows anything about these motors yet! Thanks in advance.

Garry.

Arrow

Just get a wiring harness and ECM made for a ZF installation - to use with whatever engine you acquire (originally auto or manual).

MP

precision37 Guest

If the engine you get had a auto behind it, make sure that you get a flywheel to go with it.

WOW, WOULDENT IT BE EASIER TO BUY A TRUCK WITH THE D/A IN IT? I THINK CUSTOMIZING IS COOL, BUT MAN, THAT SOUNDS LIKE ALOT OF WORK.
    MIKE
    2007 CHEVY D/A. 4 DOOR AND 6 FOOT BED

More Power
    Just get a wiring harness and ECM made for a ZF installation - to use with whatever engine you acquire (originally auto or manual).
    Thanks More Power !!Sounds like i would be better off getting the complete original package,with gear box,transfercase and all electrics rather than trying to source bits from over here.

MIKE MOG
    WOW, WOULDENT IT BE EASIER TO BUY A TRUCK WITH THE D/A IN IT? I THINK CUSTOMIZING IS COOL, BUT MAN, THAT SOUNDS LIKE ALOT OF WORK.
    MIKE
    Can not buy a Duramax powered vehicle in Australia from a dealer. Only a few private imports and they are about $108000.00 OZ dollars ! The large capacity diesel available in Australia is a F*rd 7.3 made in Brazil!They want $75000 for them to. Not much choice here in OZ. I have a 6.2 in my Range Rover but wanted something more modern in my Defender.
    Garry.

THATS WILD. I CANT BELIEVE THE MONEY THEY WANT FOR THOSE THINGS. ILL KEEP MY EAR OPEN FOR ANY PARTS OR WRECKED TRUCKS.
    MIKE
    2007 CHEVY D/A. 4 DOOR AND 6 FOOT BED

Found a Duramax in Sydney (OZ) today and he wanted $16500 (OZ dollars) for it and a ZF but when i got photos it was a LB7. Will keep trying.

Gaz

Australian Lad

Why insist on an LLY?

An LB7 may be a better option for your application. They are much simpler an all respects, save one. The location of the injectors. If you were to get your hands on an LB7, upgrading the injectors before installing in a vehicle would not be that difficult, and added peace of mind after the install.

Disadvantages of the LLY would be EGR, Cat issues, computer controlled variable geometry turbo, more complicated computer issues, etc. More moving parts, more to go wrong. The LB7 seems, at this time, to be more friendly with computer programming changes.

In your location, availability and cost may be a big issue between the two.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

DmaxMaverick wrote:
    Australian Lad

Why insist on an LLY?

An LB7 may be a better option for your application. They are much simpler an all respects, save one. The location of the injectors. If you were to get your hands on an LB7, upgrading the injectors before installing in a vehicle would not be that difficult, and added peace of mind after the install.

Disadvantages of the LLY would be EGR, Cat issues, computer controlled variable geometry turbo, more complicated computer issues, etc. More moving parts, more to go wrong. The LB7 seems, at this time, to be more friendly with computer programming changes.

In your location, availability and cost may be a big issue between the two.
    I must admit i really dont know much about either motor! I had assumed that the LLY would be the more reliable motor as being a newer version? I had read on this site of the injector problems of the LB7 and assumed to keep clear of them. What percentage of these motors are having injector failures? This engine LB7 that i mentioned previously has done less than 1000 miles so would i reliable get 300000 miles out of it before needing work? Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Garry.

If it is an 'o2 the injectors have been going out around 85,000 miles. The 'o3-'04 1/2's seem to have better injectors.

The LB7 seems to get better fuel economy based on the responses to fuel economy question on this forum.

Check out http://www.isuzuengines.com they have some awesome engines that may be less expensive than the Duramax, easier to retrofit, will not tear up the drivetrain in your rig, and will simply fit better.

Ken