Thread: shift range inhibit message.

Inspector Guest

Angry

The last few times that I have started the truck up cold I get "Shift Range Inhibit" on the DIC.
    It goes away after a few seconds but feels kinda of jerky for a few feet then no further problems.
    Those of you who know me know that I don't believe in burning down the road or generally abusing my stuff. From reading on the other forum it seems that those who have had the message have been kicking the competitions but so to speak and the C1 clutchs have fried and left them with no movement. I always tow in "Tow Haul" and the speed limit. Don't know what to make of this. Will be going to the dealer soon. Any suggestions.
    Denny

It's rare, but a known issue.

Sounds like you are having torque converter drain-back. When you start up cold, before you move the shift lever, let the temp for the tranny come up a little. About 10 minutes should do it. Cycle the shifter P-N-R-N-P for about 10 seconds each position, then shut it off. Restart and all should be well. If it doesn't show the message after the second start, then that is the problem.

There is a TSB on it. Have your dealer look it up. If you are under warranty, it's covered. Not sure how they handle it out of warranty.

When was the spin-on tranny filter changed? It could be an issue with cold ATF. Not very likely, but possible.

Good luck.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Inspector Guest

Thanks for the come back Dmax.
    The spin on was changed about 3 thousand miles ago when Allison put the deep pan on and installed the transynd. The internal filter was replaced at the same time.
    What is the TSB number so I can review it?
    Thanks again.
    Denny

Inspector Guest

Angry

DmaxMaverick:
    I looked for the TSB for the torque converter drain back problem and could't find it. I'm having this problem more frequently now and even when it is hot. I'll go to the dealer as soon as I get the gun loaded with the info. Get back to me would you please.
    Thanks
    Denny

Inspector Guest

The truck is at the dealer. They were able to get the message to appear while in the shop. How about that. Anyway the tech had a reader on at the time and it came up with a bad speed sensor. The one in the transfer case. I'm skeptical but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I supppose if a logical approach is used a cure can be found. They did't have one in stock so had to order overnight. The Allison tech a Smiths in SLC said NSBU but that I should take it to the dealer first and if they can't get it then talk them into contracting to them for the work.
    We shall see.
    Denny

Inspector Guest

Angry

Update on the "Shift range Inhibit" message problem. The speed sensor in the transfer case was not the problem. A voltage drop is now what they feel is the problem and are changing out the ignition switch.
    Maybe tomorrow.
    Denny

Inspector Guest

Smile

Just got back from the dealer. The speed sensor was the first thing that got replaced and then they did the upgraded NSBU and that was not help either. The tech noticed that on the scan tool the voltage would drop during the shift into gear cycle to around 6 to 7 volts and that would cause the "shift range inhibit" message to show. When the voltage remained nominal no message and it would shift into gear normally. He then replaced the ignition switch and so far the message has't returned. He wants to get a few more stop and start cycles on it before he lets me have the truck back. Should be this afternoon.
    We shall see.
    Denny [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Inspector Guest

Thumbs up

Evidently the ignition switch was the fix. It hasn't tossed the message since it was installed.
    We shall see.
    Denny

Default Range Shift Inhibited

Inspector,

Did the ignition switch replacement seem to be the fix? Have you had the problem since?

I've experienced symptoms very similar to your above description. I've called a couple of the area dealers and I suspect their confidence is low on what the problem is. My truck is out of warranty and I don't want a astronaumical bill.

Thanks,
    Jim M.
    '05 2500HD D/A CC SB 4x4 Silver LS ~65,000+ mi.
    Isspro EGT (pre-turbo) & Boost analog guages; 4" Magnaflow exhaust; Superchips programmer; Uni-Foam Air Filter; Boost stick w/ext.; Amsoil Lubrication products; Aux. fuel filter (Post OEM); FilterMags on oil, fuel, and trans; Bilstein shocks; Amsoil Dual Remote oil bypass; 60 gal. In-bed RDS Aux. fuel tank; Prodigy electric brake controller; VR3 Color Back-up Camera System, Battery tender
    '10 Coachmen FW 35RLDS ~35', 11k lbs.(loaded)

The shift range inhibited message is actually pretty common. It's a generic message kicked out when a lot of different things happen. Could be...

- Low fluid
    - Transfer case in neutral
    - Bad trans selector switch
    - broken \ faulty wiring
    - TCM issues
    - physical damage
    - bad solenoids
    - etc

Check the fluid, make sure the transfer case is in gear and then check the DTC's to be sure. Just cause you get this message doesn't mean you have the same problem the TS had.

Default Same Problem

hi i have an 07 2500hd dmax and mine is almost the same just mine goes perfect in reverse but nothing in maual or drive. but also has security warning up and key fob stared to stop two weeks before this trans problem. any ideas?

I'm having the same, intermittent issue on my '07 Classic, but no trouble codes. Usually, moving the shifter to park and then back in gear (either forward or reverse, does it on both) clears the issue. However, blackpearllmm said something that interested me: I sometimes get the security light on the dash when locking the truck. Now, I have an aftermarket alarm/remote start system, but the Range Inhibited issue was occurring before the system was installed. The alarm system sometimes gives me fits (horn will sound a confirmation when it feels like it, or not), delayed locking or unlocking, and other gremlins.

Could this be tied to a faulty ignition switch/voltage issue, as well? My alarm installer is absolutely befuddled by the issues, as it's a system that's known to be pretty reliable...
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic SLT K3500 CC DRW.
    19.5" Alcoas with 245/70R19.5 Goodyear treads, AFE 5" exhaust, Edge Attitude CTS, AMP Powersteps, Bilstein 5100's