Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting more power out of a 6.2L Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Madrugador View Post
    Lastly, will I be wasting my time with this center mounted 6.2 turbo with my setup or should I just consider another engine altogether? Thanks!
    Due to your axle ratio and resulting low rpm's, I'm not sure you're going to gain much (if any) by adding a turbo. A turbo needs enough rpm's spool up.

If you're stuck with your axle ratio setup, you might consider the Cummins 6BT. It might be a bit of an overkill but you would get a significant increase in power at those low rpm's. In fact, this is how my 1990 Suburban is set up. At 100 km/h (60 mph), the 6BT turns over at roughly 1300 rpm's. It also has enough power to pull 6% grades at this rpm. For a quite ride, find an 88-93 6BT with a VE pump. The 94-98's with the P-pump can make more power but are significantly noisier.

Take a look at the following Land Rover 6BT conversions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50XY0v03GsE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwqGaVU8Vug
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxKFu_wb0Gg
    Last edited by Edahall; 01-05-2015 at 20:58.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Here's the power curve for a 6.2 NA vs. 6.2 Banks turbo. As you can see, both put out the same power output at 1250 rpm. Where the turbo shines is at higher rpm's. Off idle, the data is not shown probably because power output with the turbo is less than without turbo.

For comparison, here's the power curve for a Cummins 6BT. It develops much more power at lower rpm's than the 6.2 Banks turbo. In fact, it puts out nearly the same power at 500 rpm as a 6.2 at 1250 rpm.

1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Back on the topic of a 6.2 with center mount turbo, does anyone know whether it'd even bolt up? I was under the impression that the intake would bolt up but in a post over on the 6.5 forum, saw a comment that the intake holes are a different angle?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    The heads on a center mount engine, have different angle on the intake bolt holes.
    Is it true that the intake won't fit on a 6.2? Could you get tricky with a drill and make them work with stock 6.2 heads?
    1978 Jeep Wagoneer, 1993 6.2L J-code 599 and a Banks Sidewinder.

Tell your mechanic he is right, your gearing is incorrect, and even more so for a turbo application. Forget about a turbo here, you've got a gearing problem.

Go back to the math in my previous post and re-read, possibly give the information to your mechanic to he can help you choose the correct gear ratio for the 6.2L.

What gear ratios are available?

Here's the best gear ratio calculator I've found online. Doesn't hurt that he's a fellow Wagoneer owner. His calculator even takes into account the lost RPMs when using non-lockup torque converters:

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
    1978 Jeep Wagoneer, 1993 6.2L J-code 599 and a Banks Sidewinder.

I am the remote mounted turbo van guy,

Stock turbo's spool right off idle, he won't have trouble spooling it or keeping it spooled on the highway. If you have the room, use the van setup but the crappy part is, its hard to upgrade. If you can, I'd use a Banks exhaust manifold and customize the rest.

Heads are different on the van, bolt angles are wrong so you can't interchange the manifolds between trucks and vans.

On my setup, I pretty well build boost right off idle, its a neat setup for sure.

I am a parting out a turbo van engine, so all the manifolds, turbo etc are up for grabs. Block too if you want it.
    1984 Chev Get-A-Way van, 6.2 diesel, remote mounted turbo built by me, running an HX35 turbo with a 60mm wheel. Burning WMO, WATF, jet fuel and Hydraulic oil.