Thread: Replaceing head gasket ASAP

Question Replaceing head gasket ASAP

Replacing my head gaskets on my 01 with 200k miles, planing on changing all hoses and the belt, any thoughts on what else I should change while it's tore down? Best place to get all my parts?
    Thanks for any help!
    Rick
    rikbrowner@aol.com

Default Consider this

I want to throw in my 2c. Have you considered finding a new (used low mileage motor), (they're out there) rather than replacing head gaskets. 200K isn't a lot but my '01' went through all the usuall problems and I ended up putting a used motor in it. I couldn't be happier. Runs better than new for the past 50K. Just my 2c but if I would have done it sooner I would have saved a lot of head ache and $$$. I"ll do the same thing again as long as the body is good. Hell, I've now go 144K on the original brakes. .

<P>Not a bad idea! not a cheep venture just to do head gaskets!</P>

I bought my head gaskets from the dealer. They were cheaper then Napa. The Other ones online from rockauto.com. Dont forget the injector line seals. The dealer has those also. I paid a local diesel shop to pull the injector sleeves. I didnt remove the passenger side exhuast manifold. Just unbolt it from the head. I did remove the drivers side. It took me about 35-40 hours to get it done. Make sure to replace the rubber hose behind the fan pulley.
    Jeff

Glow plugs/connectors, thermostats, water pump.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

The OE head bolts are the Torque to Yield variety, meaning they will need to be replaced along with the head gaskets.

The lower radiator hose cost me $130 in 2004. Unless the hose is deteriorating in some way, I'd be tempted to re-use it... The upper hose usually deteriorates long before the lower rad hose because it sees the hottest coolant temps (it's cheaper too).

Jim

Oil filter/flush brakes

Thanks for the input guys!