Thread: 98 6.5 electronic to mechanical pump swap

Default 98 6.5 electronic to mechanical pump swap

Merry Christmas to All
    This is the time of year that i actually take a couple of days off,and laze around the house.I also try my hand at technology.So this year i thought i would try to decipher the secret to posting pic's on here.
    So last spring i was forced to do the swap on my tow truck,one day it wouldn't start and after a frustrating attempt to get it running i pronounced the electronics NFG and started by cutting the wires to the pump.I had all the parts i thought to do the swap.Of course it wasn't plug and play,but it wasn't rocket science.
    The first pic is the only access to the fulcrum on the pump to hook the throttle cable up,i have the dual thermostat so the space is very limited
    The second one is the high idle i used.I got the solenoid off a old ford carb,i liked it because of the adjustment.I had to put it on the opposite side of the pump due to lack of real estate on the drivers side.The pump i used was a new military pump.I have 2 new ones and a few used ones and all had the plastic cam on them
    The third pic is the extension i made for the fulcrum to hook up the throttle cable.In order to get through the hole it had to be moved towards the fender about 3/4 inch,i used square tubing to make a new hook up.
    One of the things i like to do when i re engineer things is to keep it as stock looking as possible.And to make things so the factory made stuff will still be replaceable without having to modify it on the road when it breaks down away from home
    Attached Images Attached Images
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Cool Beans I'm being dragged into the 21st century.I have the ability to post pic's today.
    Here are some more
    The first one is the high idle and bracket mounted on the mockup pump
    And the second is the throttle cable mount where it squeaks by the t state housing
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

It's the pic's boss the pic's....
    The first is the new throttle fulcrum for the pump.
    The second is the throttle bracket and fulcrum before paint and installation.
    The truck starts great,runs great now.I did turn up the pump because i figured it was off a NA engine and could use a little more fuel.I still have to tidy up a couple of things.I want to install a diode in the timing advance wire,then i can reuse my hi idle switch for PTO operations.I believe i hooked up my promoter leads wrong and ruined the probe.And i have a leak in the #1 injector line.I thought i had a set of lines from Britanic's truck but they were for a 6.2 older engine.I was able to find a set from a 93 local but it was the set with the piece that fits between the pump and #1 line,and i believe it weeps fuel.
    I also have a pillar pod to mount the gauges in.And i guess i should pull the SES light.
    I now have the confidence to take this truck out at night to rescue someone out in the middle of nowhere without having to be rescued my self.We have very little cell coverage,and the phone company had deep sixed it's radio phone coverage which used to cover most of the territory,so when the excrement hits the fan you are usually on your own to clean up the mess

Very cool! Thanks for the pics. This will be helpful if I ever pull the trigger on my '95 to go MFI. I, too, have the upgraded dual-thermostat housing, and I knew that would be a big hurdle to overcome for the throttle cable. I like your ingenuity. Better than cutting and welding the thermostat housing, I think.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Bump to bring to top of page