Thread: Pryometer

Default Pryometer

is there an easy way to test the probe? My gauge quit working and I'd rather not buy anything without knowing I was buying the right piece.

Big Green
    '95 K2500

Arrow

Pyro issues are difficult to diagnose, most of the time. Much depends on the symptoms of failure. To begin with, consider the probe a consumable. mV thermocouples have a limited use life. More frequent and higher temp use causes earlier failure. If it just "stopped" indicating anything different than power-off, in a single instant (no intermittence), it could be any point of failure: probe, wires, connectors, amplifier, or gage, but is usually the probe or connector/wire. If the temp is indicated less or more than it should, but is linear, it's likely the amplifier. If it indicates wrong, but is random, it's likely the probe. If it's on/off, but is relatively accurate when it's on, it's likely wires/connectors (suspect amp ground, first). If it works sometimes, accurate or not, it's important to note the conditions when it works, and when it doesn't. Current climate and physical conditions (at the location of the amplifier) affect the operation of a weak or failing amp. Vibrations and impact types (bumps in the road, slamming door, tapping the amp or gage, sound system output, etc.) can indicate the source of failure. Close proximity cell phone use can also cause pyro issues.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

In my case it just quit reading. For a while it would read when the temps got up to 600-800 but now it just doesn't read anything

Big Green

Howdy
    I would start with checking all connections. Make sure that the basics are right before you throw money at it.
    What brand and does your gauge have an amplifier? I have seen them with and without. If it has an amp, it would be a small box some place in line after the probe.
    From your description, it sounds to me like a probe. Like Dmax said, they are a consumable. The one in my truck has lasted 10 years and over 400k miles. The one in my neighbors truck(cummins) was replaced in under 30k.
    Hope this helps!
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Does not have an amplifier although it has been a number of years since I installed it.

It's an Isspro gauge.

Big Green