Thread: starter r and r

Question starter r and r

Im trying to remove the starter from my 97 gmc 2500 4x4. i currently have the long bolts out 2 of them the shop manual says there is some other bracket but i dont see it or feel it. the starter wiggles and moves but not enough to get it out what am i missing?
    this is just the lastest thing on the long list of problems and now it snowed and its wet
    thanks in advance

Arrow

There should be a bracket at the end opposite the gear (forward). It attaches to the block. You should be able to get a look at it through the wheel well. If, by chance, it isn't there, get one for your next starter (don't skip this step, or you'll be buying another starter, or worse).

Either that, or you still have the batt. cable attached. If so, remove it before starter removal. That can also be accessed through the wheel well.

Any of the above is easiest with the wheel removed. You can also remove the fender liner for greater access.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

pirate,

If your working on a stick shift REMOVE BOTH ENDS OF THE HARD LINE from the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Default Starter

I have never had to removed the clutch line to get the starter out and I have pulled mine a good dozen or so.

Isn't pulling the line just going to cause him to have bleed the clutch, which can be a royal pain? The bracket is what is causing the problem, found that out the hard way too. (Five broken starter bolts )
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

thanks guys its an auto thou. i tried to see from the wheel opening but couldnt so im trying to remove it with the cables on is this possible? or do i have to take the wheel off and pull the cross over pipe to gain access? it hidden prety good from what i can tell from underneith thanks , oh bty ihave 2 tranny lines running right below it and off to one side do i need to remove them?
    thanks

Well, I've had a slave cylinder give out 2 days after changing a starter and a master the day after a clutch. Both end in having to drive cross town in rush hour traffic and no clutch. When you try to time a light 3 jerks jump in t he space in front and you still have to stop and start again in gear. And I have bleed the clutch by my self, not that bad.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Default Starter

Just notating that in the dozen or so times that I have done it, I have never had that problem.

Pirate: You should be able to get the starter to clear those lines. I doubt that you will be able to see the bracket easily. Best way is to use the eyeballs on the ends of your fingers. It can be a pain to get off, but as I stated, starter bolts that are broken off in the block are more of a pain to get out in the long run. It will come out.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

thanks it gonna have wait for week, and maybe the puddle will have frozen over or dried up thanks again guys