Thread: Newbie question about 6.2 Power output

Talking Newbie question about 6.2 Power output

I'm picking up a 6.2 and a turbo set up for a hot rod I'm planning. I want to do something different than the average V8 hot rod. My vision is a 6.2 with a turbo and either a single or double smoke stacks behind the cab. I also have a 700R4 and a 3.08 geared rear end. I don't expect to burn up the quarter mile but I'd like to be able to do some cruising with some serious black smoke when I get on it.

What I want to know is what kind of power I can expect to get out of the turboed 6.2?

Thanks

Arrow

Welcome aboard, Chvyhs!

With that combo, the only thing you'll be burning up is the 700R4. Unless you have about 2 grand to throw at it, it won't make too many passes before you need a broom and dust pan. A 4L80, TH400, or a stick is a much better option.

The power output won't yield a "hotrod". You'll get a "warmrod". Respectable for what it is, but not very "hot", nonetheless. And dual stacks would be somewhat laughable, IMO. Depending on the build and turbo of your current engine, it won't likely be very impressive. The upside to this is you won't need to bring 1/2 the fuel of the other guys, and mosquitoes won't be a problem. You can expect power output, with the right mods, about 200-250 HP. More than that, and it'll be disposable. There are other GM Diesel options capable of burning up the track, like a well built 6.5L or Duramax.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but that's the reality of things. There's only so much you can do with an 80's era pickup Diesel. What they do, they do well, but expecting too much of them is a map straight to the garage.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I agree with Maverick about the 700R

A decent 400 with a shift kit will hold the little 6.2 even with a turbo until all H*&% freezes over.

The 3.08's would be better exchanged for some 3.73's and your little diesel creature will still make some good mileage on the road.

You can turn up the Horsepower scew a tad on the pump and it will smoke a little with your boot on its neck even with the turbo.

Just install a pyro and boost gauge so you dont turn it into a crispy critter with all the smoke
    The 4L80 is a good box BUTTTTTTTT you would need a stand alone magic box to run it.
    The 400 will need only a vacuum source and a control valve on the IP to control the trannies shift points.

The valve is a delco # 14057219

This bolts to the RH side of the IP on the 6.2 and the vacuum from the vacuum pump connects to the rear port and the other port goes to the modulator on the tranny.

Adjust to get a good solid shift feel and your set.

Like maverick said about $2K for a good 700 box.
    I have built them for far less but I scrounged all the good parts off ebay and craigs list and did the work myself.

A shop thats worth its salt will be right with the $2K figure

Best of luck with the rod

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY