Thread: Why does diesel cost more than gas?

Arrow Why does diesel cost more than gas?

Why does diesel cost more than gas?
    You may have noticed that a gallon of diesel fuel costs more than a gallon of gasoline. For many years, diesel fuel prices tended to be lower than gasoline. Since September 2004, this trend has disappeared, with diesel fuel prices tracking or exceeding gasoline. One of the various factors affecting diesel fuel prices is the motor fuel taxes collected at the federal, state and sometimes the local level. Since October 1, 1997, the federal government has imposed 24.4 cents‐per‐gallon tax on diesel fuel compared to an 18.4 cents‐per‐gallon tax on gasoline. Almost every state also levies a diesel tax the average of which is 19 cents per gallon. Some states levy the same tax rate on gasoline and diesel fuel, however 20 states currently tax diesel more than gasoline with 13 states imposing higher gasoline taxes.

On May 20, New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan signed into law legislation indexing the state’s 18 cents/gallon motor fuels taxes to annual inflation. This means that, as of July 1st, motorists fueling up in New Hampshire will pay an additional 4.2 cents/gallon. New Hampshire joins Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Vermont and Wyoming that have recently increased their state motor fuels tax.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, there are 14 other bills pending in 7 other states that would increase state motor fuels taxes.
    Read The Top 5 Questions About Diesel Fuel, "The Fuel that Powers America [ http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmf..._June2013_.pdf ] .
    Read more [ http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmf...egislation.pdf ] about all pending state motor fuels tax legislation.
    I had discussions with people at the Diesel Forum a few years ago about the cost disparity between gas and diesel fuel. While taxes are certainly part of it, it's not the biggest reason why diesel fuel costs more.

Yesterday, as we drove past a local fuel station I noted that diesel fuel was an even 50-cents a gallon more than the lowest price unleaded.

The biggest reason - the most important reason - why diesel fuel costs more than gasoline is because diesel fuel is now an export commodity. The U.S. began exporting diesel fuel about the same time as diesel fuel began costing more than gasoline. Most of the world runs on diesel fuel. America, more than any other country, powers its automotive fleet with gasoline, which has a poor export potential.

World markets are wonderful, aren't they? For the first time in 100 years, we are approaching a point where we could become energy independent. The energy companies say we need more exploration and development to help us reach that independence. It also means we'll become a much larger exporter in energy. By "we", I mean the energy companies that are extracting energy from U.S. public lands and waters, not you and I. Will becoming a net producer/exporter of energy mean lower diesel fuel prices for U.S. citizens? No, it won't.

Citizens all across the U.S. are currently celebrating the low cost of natural gas, due to finding and exploiting the vast reserves in new gas. The energy companies are working feverishly to develop technology to economically liquify that gas, so it can be exported. Guess what'll happen to natural gas prices when that happens?

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post

Yesterday, as we drove past a local fuel station I noted that diesel fuel was an even 50-cents a gallon more than the lowest price unleaded.

The biggest reason - the most important reason - why diesel fuel costs more than gasoline is because diesel fuel is now an export commodity. The U.S. began exporting diesel fuel about the same time as diesel fuel began costing more than gasoline. Most of the world runs on diesel fuel. America, more than any other country, powers its automotive fleet with gasoline, which has a poor export potential.
    Jim,

I think you're observations are correct. Without a doubt, the world runs on middle distillates, such as diesel fuel.

Years ago I was a lurker at the LATOC forum (Life After the Oil Crash). That site is no more. There was one elderly contributor (Jeremy) who tried to help me better understand why diesel fuel is, and will continue to be, at a higher cost than gasoline.

He reminded me that we import unrefined oil; not refined distillates. Each barrel of oil being comprised of light, middle, and heavy fractions. Gasoline is from light distillates. Diesel, in all its variations (#2, #1, jet fuels, kerosene, etc.) is from the middle distillates.

Much of it comes down to supply & demand. As you've pointed out, the demand is for the middle distillates: Diesel fuel for trucking, ships, trains; Jet fuel for large aircraft; and we cannot forget Heating oil for homes & businesses.

As it is right now, even in this country, there is huge demand for middle distillates. We import oil. We export refined middle distillates. There is only so much capacity to store the light distillates (including gasoline).

The demand for gasoline is not the primary driver of oil prices. Depending on the season, and reserves, for all practical purposes gasoline is a less-expensive by-product of the oil we're importing.

This is how the matter was explained to me. Judging by your comments, Likely, you were already aware of this. Others may not be.

-Nacla
    1993 Chev K3500 4x4 CC/LB, L65 6.5L TD, 4L80E, 4.10 ratio axles (GT5 w/G80 posi) LT245/75R16 single rear wheels, GVWR=9200 lbs

Someday, maybe someone can explain to me how exporting energy is good for that nation's citizens.

I laugh when some TV/radio pundit responds to a a gas price hike by saying we need to develop more of our own resources. If we did, how would that lower prices? It's a global market - there is no supply and demand market here in North America. Any increase in US production would be diluted by the world market.

Canada needs a Canadian energy market. The U.S. needs a U.S. energy market. Then, increased production would lower prices for the citizens - it's a supply and demand thing.

Who benefits from exporting energy?

I suggest Mrs. Palen former governor of Alaska, had the right idea, when she negotiated the Oil and Gas leases with the oil companies. I was there for a couple of months in 2011 and citizens of Alaska were getting about $1200 a year check from the state for the oil production that left Alaska.

If only we had a congress that could act and legislate that each bonified registered citizen of the USA would receive a check annually from the Federal Government for a percentage of the Oil and Gas produced in this country and exported to any other country, maybe that would help us to pay for the ever increasing fuel costs to operate our vehicles and natural gas costs to operate our power plants, heaters etc.
    But you know they won't.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.