Thread: extended range fuel tanks in bed

Default extended range fuel tanks in bed

Driven lots of trucks with them, but now in a first-time position to be buying one. Figured a transfer-Flow was a good choice, but a bit surprised by the $1300+ installed price for a53 gallon tank with pump, filter, and various bits. Anyone have any recent experience to support or refute that price range? Thanks.

Default RDS Tank

Ian7,
    I have a 100 gallon RDS Manufacturing aluminum tank. It has a tool box on top of the tank and I have been very happy with the RDS product. I set it up as a gravity feed system with a check ball in the connection to the primary truck tank. The check ball keeps the truck tank full at all times and there is no need for a pump. Additionally, I installed a two qt. two micron fuel filter under the bed that the aux tank fuel passes through. I put all of my fuel into the aux tank and let it filter through the two micron filter. Keep in mind that you do pay a price in lower fuel mileage to haul the extra weight of the fuel, especially around town.
    It has been about eight years but I believe the total cost of my tank & check ball kit was around $650.00 and I installed it myself.
    RDS 1 (850) 584-6898 Perry Fl.
    www.rdsaluminum,com

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

I have an 80 Gallon tank that I got used here in Alaska that had been in use keeping a mobile stove running. It had two nice mounts, it's only about 7" long, so it doesn't take up much of my bed. It does keep me from using the back window for much. I am pretty sure someone made it, that it's not a manufactured one. I have seen some at Lowe's that the price wasn't bad on.

I bought the filler kit from Amazon ($75 if I remember correctly) and plummed it into my main tank. It took me less than an hour to install the tank and filler kit.

I love the range and usability of the tank. It's awesome!
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project