Thread: 2002 LB7 Can't Pass Smog

Default 2002 LB7 Can't Pass Smog

I have a 2002 K2500HD with the LB7 Duramax, there are no DTC’s set and none in memory. I however cannot pass Smog (California) because the EGR Monitor will not set. I have driven the crazy GM drive cycle several times still it will not set, I have put about 400 miles on it since last checked and it still does not set and no DTC’s. I scanned the system and found one item out side of the norms but it is not setting a DTC. It is the EGR Vacuum Sensor which GM states should be between 18 – 158 and mine is setting at 11 at idle and when rpm is increased will go up to 15 but no higher. Could this be the issue and if so what controls this pressure and how do I correct it. Any help is appreciated, my local dealer is no help and I honestly believe I know more about the truck then they do and that is both scary and disappointing.
    Last edited by jbplock; 01-05-2018 at 04:02. Reason: removed duplicate text

I've never really done any troubleshooting on these, but it sounds like maybe the vacuum pump could be weak. I would start there with diagnosis making sure that the pump can produce 25"+ direct from the pump with a steady needle.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Meyers View Post
    I have a 2002 K2500HD with the LB7 Duramax, there are no DTC’s set and none in memory. I however cannot pass Smog (California) because the EGR Monitor will not set. I have driven the crazy GM drive cycle several times still it will not set, I have put about 400 miles on it since last checked and it still does not set and no DTC’s. I scanned the system and found one item out side of the norms but it is not setting a DTC. It is the EGR Vacuum Sensor which GM states should be between 18 – 158 and mine is setting at 11 at idle and when rpm is increased will go up to 15 but no higher. Could this be the issue and if so what controls this pressure and how do I correct it. Any help is appreciated, my local dealer is no help and I honestly believe I know more about the truck then they do and that is both scary and disappointing.
    Just a thought... Are there any aftermarket programming or devices installed? For a time, the aftermarket was big into defeating the EGR - then the EPA got involved. Your local dealer could update the vehicle ECM programming with the latest revision software for that model. It'll overwrite any aftermarket programming. If you haven't owned this truck since new, you might check for any "EGR delete" parts installed.