Thread: Turbo upgrade

Default Turbo upgrade

The OEM turbo is finally showing some bushing wear after 18 years, two engines, 4 IPs and 168K miles. Wondering what is out there these days an improvement over the stock GM-8 unit. Not looking for huge numbers but 20 some odd years after the OE turbo was designed there has to be advancements in designs to benefit from.

Truck is:
    -2000 K3500, 6.5TD/auto, CC, LB, SRW, 4x4, 4.10s, 265/75-16s
    -engine was replaced in '04 with a Navistar blocked long block and has ~70K on it now.
    -3" down pipe, 4" exhaust, remote FSD

Would like to get a manual wastegate so I can ditch the vacuum pump(original). A replacement GM-8 center section would most likely be the cheapest/easiest but I'd like something better.

The truck is used as a truck. Probably has a trailer hooked to it or a load in the box more times than not.

Thanks, Dan
    2000 chevy crew cab 4x4 SRW 6.5TD/Auto/4.10s
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Center section is a fast and easy way...

I bought a well used GM8 to replace my aging GM4 and added one of the rebuild kits you see on ebay for about $40. There isn't really much to them. If you can rebuild a lawn mower carb you can rebuild a turbo. Hardest part was getting the screws out of the housings which you'll have to do no matter. Just no room to get anything but an open end wrench on them. I ground several heads off and then extracted the remaining bolt after the fact.

In hindsight I wish I would have spent a few extra $$ and replaced the compressor wheel as it does so some wear on the edges however it's still a nice improvement over the old GM4.

Big Green
    '95 k2500

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Dan View Post

Would like to get a manual wastegate so I can ditch the vacuum pump(original).

I installed the Turbomaster manual wastegate and ditched my vacuum pump. I love how it keeps boost constant and consistent. Just be forewarned that the ECM may not like losing control of the boost. My ECM would constantly throw a CEL and put the engine into limp mode after the install. I had to install a chip in my '95 (your 2000 will need to have a flashed ECM). Took two tries with the programming to get it right, but now she'll pull all day long without an issue.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Look up Ronniejoe on here and talk to him about one of his turbos. He has a custom setup that just flat out works. I'm seriously considering selling off my TE06H and buying one of his.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Arrow Holset HX35

Going back several years, we've published stories about using the highly available Holset HX35 and 40 turbochargers on the 6.5L diesel. The common 35 is sourced from a 1994-98 Dodge Cummins (and other apps). It's wastegated and there is a Turbomaster available for it. The 35 works great on stock compression engines and the 40 works great on 18:1 engines.

Going back 10 years now to 2008, here is a link to a story we published about using the Holset HX35 on the 6.5L diesel:
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...rysholsetc.htm

I tried and tried - going back more than 10 years - to get some vendor somewhere to offer a turbocharger option that performed better than the stock GM series. My pushing, pleading and cajoling never resulted in a turbo kit being offered. We've waited too damn long, so I began the process of designing one in 2017. Later this summer, I'll offer a sweet looking bolt-on kit that makes swapping a Holset HX35 onto a 6.5 both easy and inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Later this summer, I'll offer a sweet looking bolt-on kit that makes swapping a Holset HX35 onto a 6.5 both easy and inexpensive.
    Cool! Looking forward to it!
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    Cool! Looking forward to it!
    I finally located a super machinist/welder/fabricator who has access to everyone and everything state of the art. Helps that he likes diesels too.

In the meantime, I found another TDP article I wrote some 6 years ago that explains more of the story. This one is a prelude to what's coming, and it's available right now to everyone. The kit parts will look quite a bit different than anything shown in these photos.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/archive/2012turboc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Going back several years, we've published stories about using the highly available Holset HX35 and 40 turbochargers on the 6.5L diesel. The common 35 is sourced from a 1994-98 Dodge Cummins (and other apps). It's wastegated and there is a Turbomaster available for it. The 35 works great on stock compression engines and the 40 works great on 18:1 engines.

Going back 10 years now to 2008, here is a link to a story we published about using the Holset HX35 on the 6.5L diesel:
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...rysholsetc.htm

I tried and tried - going back more than 10 years - to get some vendor somewhere to offer a turbocharger option that performed better than the stock GM series. My pushing, pleading and cajoling never resulted in a turbo kit being offered. We've waited too damn long, so I began the process of designing one in 2017. Later this summer, I'll offer a sweet looking bolt-on kit that makes swapping a Holset HX35 onto a 6.5 both easy and inexpensive.
    https://ptwiringsolutions.com/produc...i-downpipe-kit
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Some folks are running a hybrid 35/40 unit
    With the 35 exhaust side and the bigger 40 airside, its in my plans, along with the 3"-4" system from diamond eye, along with a tune from quadstar,.
    I don't think i will put the 5068 pump on yet, this truck has pretty good power for a stocker,
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Looks good! Solves a lot of problems if the kit works like it should. Bruce Kirkendall was a members in 2012.

We'll see what develops, but I plan to keep going. What I had in mind is a bit different, more refined, when compared to what we published in March 2012.
    Last edited by More Power; 01-29-2018 at 13:09.

Always good to have options!
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    Always good to have options!
    Yes it is!

MP, thanks for the update and let us know how the kit turns out.

For now I've picked up a rebuild kit for the turbo. Time is my enemy right now, in the process of building a new shop/house. Had crews do the foundation/block, concrete, rough frame and roof. I doing all the doors/windows, interior framing including the second floor(exterior was framed with 16' studs) plumbing, electrical, hvac, siding (35 sq) etc.
    2000 chevy crew cab 4x4 SRW 6.5TD/Auto/4.10s
    2014 Cruze Diesel