Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: start up smoke

Another possible source of white smoke at start up is excessive condensation being removed from the crankcase by the CDR.

If the smoke turns on and off like a switch, its likely not an IP or injectors failing intermittently....

thanks heavychevy95, I'm looking into the fuel supply, I know there is a leak by the LP.

I ordered a new PMD/FSD, so while I'm waiting for that I'm going to look into the fuel system. from the tank forward.

thanks

Arrow

If you have a visible fuel leak near the LP, that alone could cause the smoke issue. Step one: Fix the leak. Everything else should be secondary, if necessary after fixing the leak.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default fixed SES and a video of the knock

so I figured out my sudden SES light, it was a short in the PMD/FSD. well in the connector anyway.

I started it up again today and still have plenty of smoke but my knock was in full swing so I made a little video.

knock

I'm still working on the fuel system. it's been raining here about every 5 minutes and this thing doesn't fit in the garage.

Fixed the fuel leak yet? As fuel leaks out, its gets displaced with air.
    When first started, the air becomes trapped in the fuel supply system and can cause a world of hurt on your wallet, if not your sanity.
    Last edited by HeavyChevy95; 04-09-2015 at 11:39.

I would bet if you check the lower belt drive pulley on the crank you will find your knock knock. Look for shiny spots on the tabs inside the ring.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Make another vid and this time rev it past idle a few times slowly and let us hear what goes on then...

Have you checked tork converter bolts???

When it is knocking have you loosened the injector lines to help locate the knock...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

The knock could simply be trapped air in the system being forced to purge naturally, think of a screaming baby needing to pass gas.

YOU MUST FIX THE KNOWN FUEL LEAK BEFORE YOU PROCEED!!!!!!!!

ANY ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS ASSUMES THE FUEL SYSTEM IS UNRESTRICTED, UNAERATED, AND EVERYTHING UP TO THAT POINT IS WORKING PROPERLY...

MISS a fuel leak, air leak, fuel restriction, split craked deteriorated fuel hoses, lose hose clamp, inop/faulty lift pump, clogged fuel filter or fuel strainer, weak battery, faulty ground(s), faulty connections, damaged electrical harness(s), etc etc etc at the beginning or during.. ANY further diagnostics is unreliable at best and likely to quickly lead to a costly misdiagnosis.....

Unfortunitely, all that mind numbing s'it takes alot of time and seems like a waste of time for most PRO's and DIYrs alike. If its not pouring fuel on the ground, most assume no fuel system leaks. If it were only that easy..

AIR IS 6.5L EFI's KRYPTONITE.
    FAULTY GROUNDS, ITS NEMESIS.

Thats why we 6.5 EFI DIY'rs must be excruciatingly thorough in nearly every step of the often monotonous processssss, specially during those most "Important Preliminary Checks" if further troubleshooting is to lead to an accurate diagnose and/or resolution

Quote Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
    Make another vid and this time rev it past idle a few times slowly and let us hear what goes on then...

Have you checked tork converter bolts???

When it is knocking have you loosened the injector lines to help locate the knock...

yes I checked the converter bolts, they're tight.
    yes I loosened the injector lines with no change, I also listened to them with a stethoscope and couldn't pin point that way either.

I'll get another video in the morning. hopefully it'll make the noise, sometimes it's not very loud and is hard to pick up with the normal engine sounds.

I'm still working on the fuel system, I'm not sure there is a leak. the lift pump is working good.

with the motor shut off,. put a socket on the alternator nut, and see if the alternator turns with the belt easily for a 1/2 turn or so,.

the cold smoke could be a timing issue,.

unplug your temp sensor on the t stat water crossover,. it gives it lots of advance then for cold start ,..
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Default Update

ok, so it's been a while but I've been steadily working on the old girl.

I replaced all the fuel lines and the fuel filter/housing, I think I had several small leaks around the pump and the filter manager maybe even a couple spots in the rusty tubing.

still same problems, lots of start up smoke and a knock at idle.

so I got a compression tester and the best reading I got was 240 on 1,3,5,7
    160 on 2,4 and 220 on 6,8
    Guess those numbers speak for themselves.
    I knew they wouldn't be good because of all the blow by I had.

SOoo I figured time for a different engine.
    got me a 1992 6.2L complete engine from a guy who was swapping it out due to massive oil leaks. he just got a different engine so he could swap and go.
    he didn't have a place to store it, so he pulled it and I hauled it home.
    $150
    I tore it down and put in new main and rod bearings.
    new timing chain
    all new gaskets
    switched over the stuff from the 6.5
    when I had the heads off I found 1 small crack between valves on one head.
    I heard the engine run before hand and it ran good, almost no blo by only had 180000 miles on it.
    so in the truck it went.

runs great much smoother than the original.
    no smoke at all at startup

but bummer I still have the knock
    I always thought it was either an injector or the inj pump.
    I'll keep working on it. some day I'll get it figured out.

Check the crankshaft damper and the drive pulley (also damped). I had a knocking several years ago and it was the crank damper.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyk View Post
    Check the crankshaft damper and the drive pulley (also damped). I had a knocking several years ago and it was the crank damper.
    thanks
    yea I checked those out pretty good when I had the engine out.
    they are fine.

i'd guess you have a bad injector,. and its a fuel knock
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Funny you should say that, it's what I thought all along. I've tried repeatedly cracking lines to see which one. Never stopped the knocking entirely.
    The injectors that came with the truck were supposed to be fresh rebuilds.
    Yesterday I pulled out all 4 on the driver side and swapped in 4 that came in my used engine, they look really crappy, but I figured what the heck, definately,

made a huge difference.
    so the next day I changed out the other 4

these used 6.2 injectors make the engine sound totally different.
    the nock is all but gone, still a little but very different sound, much more tinny.
    I'd say they're not the best either but they are better than the "rebuilt" injectors that came with the truck.
    I took apart one of the rebuilds and it has Bosch nozzles from India in it.
    and they do look new