Thread: Warranty ??

Default Warranty ??

I have a 2005 CC drw 4x4 I am looking hard at the 5" turbo back system from MBPR ( a friend has this on his and it sounds mean ). I am concerned about the warranty on this truck. Has anyone had any problems with the dealer after removing the cat. Also is there anything else that I would need to do if I removed the cat.

Arrow

Technically, removing the cat is considered tampering with the vehicle emissions system (illegal) and could void your warranty. "Cat-Back" exhaust systems are popular for this reason, and generally do not void warranties.

Jim

thanks for the reply morepower, So would it be worth even doing a cat back. I don't plan on any racing, but I do pull a 15,000 # goosneck and I am looking for a more agressive sound. The other night when I put in my B&W turn over ball I had to drop a few hangers so I went ahead and unbolted the tailpipe/muffler from the cat and we started the truck to see what it would sound like, very disapointing. I know it was not under a load but it was really quiet. My Buddy truck sounds like a built big block at idle and just gets better with rpm and that is what I am looking for but not a the price of losing my warranty.I do want to do some type of programmer but I want to install a EGT gauge first but, I was told that would also effect warranty ie.,drillng the manifold. So I guess I will have to wait till the next 4 years or 87,647 miles before I start playing with this thing.

Arrow

Stop in to see your local dealer service manager. Being on good terms with the service department can make life easier. Ask him about their general thoughts about mods, including a pyro install. If he's a stickler, it's better to find that out before any mods are added. On the other hand, he may be an enthusuaist....

One of our local dealers has a couple of Duramax enthusiasts as mechanics, and couple of the salesmen are also into power. In addition, this dealership is also a Banks dealer. Even so, they all say more or less the same thing that mods can void warranties (they have to say that). They also have a good handle on what mods can affect drivetrain durability, and which mods don't. Intakes, exhaust systems and gauges aren't a problem there.

That said, I've heard of dealerships running their service department by the absolute letter of the law (GM's), and split hairs for any sort of non-power adder mods....

Lastly, GM has apparently begun warning dealerships about the consequences of power mods. In response, some dealerships have begun adding tamper stickers to the engine harness connectors, and are generally less tolerant of just about any modifications. Your service manager will help guide you.

Jim

My "cat" fell off one day, still have a Magnaflow muffler. Exhaust is a little louder not much but pulling a 15000# GN mileage has improved about 3/4 MPG, local driveing empty no noticable difference. I do have a friendly dealer and I if needed would return truck to stock before dealer would see truck for warranty. bob...............
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch