Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Default transfer leak update

Picked up the truck Friday, Told the service dept I wanted to see the damaged case and found the same problem that "newbie" showed in his pictue
    I did talk to the service manager and he said to give GM a call and see if they would reimburse me for the 1/2 that I had to pay. Looks like this could be a series problem if not found before a long trip, with in a 50 mile trip I lost about a 1/2 qrt. the case only holds 2 qrts.

There is a fix for this problem. GM likely is not aware of it yet though

If the case runs with low/no fluid for any lenght of time, its all done. It dont take long for it to self destruct inside. When tearing it down to replace case half, it needs to be carefully inspected to be sure its repaired properly.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxalliTech
    There is a fix for this problem. GM likely is not aware of it yet though

If the case runs with low/no fluid for any lenght of time, its all done. It dont take long for it to self destruct inside. When tearing it down to replace case half, it needs to be carefully inspected to be sure its repaired properly.
    I've got just over 40K on my '01 4x4 3500 so what's the fix? And, is this fix gonna hurt.........cash wise?
    JP
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

2002 2500HD with 101,000 miles (just out of warranty) - same thing!!! Just went under to change the oil and noticed ATF ALL OVER the underside of the truck from the transfer case back.

Sure enough - the same pinhole leak as the others (near the third bolt), spitting out ATF like there's no tomorrow. Hopefully, I caught it in time - there was still about 1/2 quart left in the case.

I called GM to start a case number and I will take it to the dealer for diagnosis and write-up.

I will let you all know what happens....

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill
    2002 Silverado 2500HD LS DMAX/ZF, CC LB 4x4 Charcoal Grey, Line-X Liner, Back Country Nerf Bars, Century High C, Dual Alts, High Idle Mod with Trilogix CS-423 Remote Starter, Garmin GPS 15H with Skymaster Antenna, Rear Obstacle Sensing System, Autometer EGT/Boost Guages on Pillar, 600W Power Inverter, Unity 6" spotlight, Fumoto Valve with Threaded Cap, Warn Winch on multi-mount with front + rear receiver, And for you HAMS - HF/6M/2M/220/440/GMRS/1200MHz + Scanner with all the antennas to show for it!

Arrow

I wonder if this is related to how often 4WD is used? For example, do those who rarely use 4WD have this problem, compared to those who run in 4WD more?

Jim

I just had this same thing happen to me last week on my 02 2500HD D/A with 148,000 miles. I ended up paying right about $750. for a new tailshaft housing to be installed. I'm VERY interested to see if GM will reimburse anyone for this repair and what the procedure is to get it.

I find it completely unacceptable for a metal clip on the inside of the transfer case to wear a hole through the casting with this amount of time and miles on the truck. Seems like a pretty clear design problem to me and certainly nothing I caused.

By the way, the tech told me that New Process (the transfer case mfg.) knew this was a problem and redesigned the tailshaft housing. He'd seen a lot of trucks with this issue, usually after the transfer case dumped all it's fluid out and locked up.
    2007 GMC 2500HD LBZ, 4X4, CC, SB

Quote Originally Posted by More Power
    I wonder if this is related to how often 4WD is used? For example, do those who rarely use 4WD have this problem, compared to those who run in 4WD more?

Jim

Mine started leaking at about 104,000 mi. 4WD is not used often. The rig is a daily driver and 4WD is only used when needed. I actually engage it every now and then just to be sure it works.
    2002 Chev D/A CC LB - it's gone

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by NEW2DMAX
    Picked up the truck Friday, Told the service dept I wanted to see the damaged case and found the same problem that "newbie" showed in his pictue
    I did talk to the service manager and he said to give GM a call and see if they would reimburse me for the 1/2 that I had to pay. Looks like this could be a series problem if not found before a long trip, with in a 50 mile trip I lost about a 1/2 qrt. the case only holds 2 qrts.
    Will GM would not agree to pay the full cost, guess I'll be happy with them covering 1/2, but I went ahead and changed the transfer case oil again after the case was replaced just to clean out any left over trash that could of been left, and found metal shavings I'm going to wait a little awhile and change the transfer fluid again. If metal shaving are found I will contact the service dept. They told me that the case had been redesigned.

Quote Originally Posted by KenR
    I just had this same thing happen to me last week on my 02 2500HD D/A with 148,000 miles. I ended up paying right about $750. for a new tailshaft housing to be installed. I'm VERY interested to see if GM will reimburse anyone for this repair and what the procedure is to get it.

I find it completely unacceptable for a metal clip on the inside of the transfer case to wear a hole through the casting with this amount of time and miles on the truck. Seems like a pretty clear design problem to me and certainly nothing I caused.

By the way, the tech told me that New Process (the transfer case mfg.) knew this was a problem and redesigned the tailshaft housing. He'd seen a lot of trucks with this issue, usually after the transfer case dumped all it's fluid out and locked up.
    I saw the inside of the case that they removed and it is very obvious it is not just the metal clip. The case had 3 other wear places across from the clip. Looks to be something in the drive line cutting into the case.

Default Run Around

All,

I'm getting the royal run-around from GM. They are claiming that they've NEVER seen this before and, due to the mileage, are unable to do anything for me.

This is BULL***T - they have a design problem that causes the fluid to drain out and the Transfer Case to self-destruct and they don't let people know!?!?! Then they DENY they have a problem???

I think this may be the end of the road for me and GM...

Incidentally, the stealer wants $2K for the repair!!! He says the inside is all worn due to contact with the case....
    Bill
    2002 Silverado 2500HD LS DMAX/ZF, CC LB 4x4 Charcoal Grey, Line-X Liner, Back Country Nerf Bars, Century High C, Dual Alts, High Idle Mod with Trilogix CS-423 Remote Starter, Garmin GPS 15H with Skymaster Antenna, Rear Obstacle Sensing System, Autometer EGT/Boost Guages on Pillar, 600W Power Inverter, Unity 6" spotlight, Fumoto Valve with Threaded Cap, Warn Winch on multi-mount with front + rear receiver, And for you HAMS - HF/6M/2M/220/440/GMRS/1200MHz + Scanner with all the antennas to show for it!

Angry Tradin her in

My 2002 has the same leak fixed with cold weld just did it again today. This is the first new vehcle I've ever owned and the truck has been babied. A month ago I finally got her after the wife put 105k miles on her, we bought the wife a 2005 Z71 Suburban. Now I'm planning to trade the truck on a 2003 and this case leak is one of the reasons. I've heard this was only an iossue with the 01/02 trucks hopefully the 03 I found has the redesigned case.

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Default Check your transfer case

Guys, went over to a friend transmission shop this evening to pay him for the tow( He also owns a towing Co.) on my 02 last week. Took me in the back to show me another 02 T-case that was just about shreaded and was bone dry. I mean not a drop of oil in the case. I can't believe the dude didn't here it. Heck when mine started to get low it would growl on downshift and I'm deaf in one ear.

When is GM going to wise up and concede that this is a manufacture defect?

David
    Oneton
    2002 3500HD Pewter/lt grey interior Crew Cab 4x4 LT Durmax/Allison

David,

My T Case went dry in KY a few years ago. $3,000 if I remember right. Since then I have heard from a dealer that the factory doesn't always fill the fluids up and depend on the dealer to top them off. Beware.
    2002 GMC, Pretty Dark Blue, 4x4 / 3500, ZF6, 115 gal spare tank and Rockets... (My Other One): Flying Fuel. I got three engines and a 52,000 gallon tank, how many you got?

Default An update to my situation

Well I FINALLY got a response to the letter I wrote to GMC back in September. I had written to them expressing my displeasure at having to pay nearly $800.00 in parts and labor to replace the defective transfer case tail shaft housing on my 2002 K2500HD D/A truck - an issue that is clearly a design/manufacturing defect that's effecting a great number of vehicles.

So, this very nice lady from GMC calls me up today, apologizes for the delay in responding, then asks if I still own the truck. No, I tell her, it was traded in this past November on a new one. "Sorry" she said, "we can't offer any reimbursement on a vehicle you no longer own." So, I asked her, if GMC would've responded in a normal, timely fashion to a letter that was written THREE MONTHS AGO before I traded in the truck I might've seen some kind of reimbursement? "Uh, yes".

Freakin' unbelievable. I guess GM's strategy on these kinds of problems is to just sit on the customers complaint for months until they unload the truck then tell them they won't do anything about it. Total BS.

I'm sure none of the other manufacturers would be any different, but I think it's a chickensh** way of treating customers.

Rant <off>.

Angry

See how my discussion with GM went under the thread "Transfer Case Leak?????"

Many 6.5 engines including mine have siezed because of a quick disconnect on the oil line to the cooler that wears out and pops off. The damage is done before anything is apparent. GM has known about this for years and done nothing to warn owners. This is a $10,000.00 repair.

I do agree none of the other manufacturers are any better. Their responses are determined by the potential for negative financial impact, and have nothing to do with right and wrong.

Arlie
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    454 converted to 6.5 TD (siezed)
    5 sp man

Default Transfer Case Leak - what years affected?

There's a lot of information on this issue from previous posts, but I can't find anything definitive to indicate what years of trucks are affected. Most of the posts deal with 2001, 2002 trucks. Is the broken pump clip wearing a hole into the transfer case still an issue with later models?? I own a 2004 GMC with the Duramax-Allison combination and the push button drive mode selector. Do I need to start saving for the day it happens to me? I'm located in Canada and we sometimes don't get the same dealer response that Stateside owners get. I have 50,000 miles (80,000km) on the truck I've owned since new February 04.
    Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
    2004 GMC 2500HD SLE Duramax, Allison sb cc
    2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite

I asked a vendor on Ebay that sells replacement case halfs. Here was their reply to your question:

"They all do from 97 to present. Most get through warranty that is all that concerns GM. They are cast from magnesium with a small thin sheet metal tab to keep the oil pump from wearing a hole. The oil pump wears a hole through the sheet metal
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

A number of people here have been told the case was redesigned to correct the problem. If this is not true I'd like to do what's necessary to my '05 TC to prevent the problem. It's a new case waiting to be installed on my 93 conversion project.
    Sure would be nice if GM would be up front about this. Anyone got inside information?
    Arlie
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    454 converted to 6.5 TD (siezed)
    5 sp man