Thread: Front Axle Seal

Default Front Axle Seal

First time posting and was wondering if any one has had this issue. I noticed the front axle seal leaking oil on the drivers side. Tried to remove axle but was unable to get it out, so I went to the dealership and spoke to one of the Techs.

He told me and showed me a front diff from a Gm truck that had the passenger side axle stuck in the diff which they could not remove, had to install a new front diff. He suggested removing the front diff, cutting the axle and opening it up to remove it from the inside.

He indicated that they have seen this a few times where they can't remove the axle.

Anyone else experience this issue and if you have what was the remedy to remove the axle to replace the seal? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by davidr; 09-22-2008 at 13:21. Reason: Correct spelling

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

It will come out, without cutting or diff removal. A LARGE slide hammer will help.

But, before you tear into it too far, verify the vent tube isn't dribbling lube above (very likely if it's ever been overfilled, and/or the tube gets blown off). This can have the appearance of a leaky seal. Other fluids dripping on top of the diff can also have this appearance.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Dmaxmaverick,

Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that I tried the slide hammer as well as a air hammer and neither worked.
    The tech I spoke to at the dealship had the front diff out of the truck and used a very large slide hammer as well as a sledge and was unable to remove the axle.

When I was trying to remove the axle to replace the seal I drained the front diff hoping this might assist in removing the shaft but that didn't help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks