Thread: 2003 LB7 won't start...

Default 2003 LB7 won't start...

..after being parked at an angle over night. Fuel filter loses prime and needs to be pumped to start again.

Anyone else have this problem?

Arrow

This usually indicates a fuel system (air) leak, and/or a failed filler cap vent. It can be exaggerated with a low fuel level in the tank. Try to repeat the issue, only try it with the fuel cap loose (loosen when it's parked and still warm, and leave it loose until after a start), then with a higher fuel level, but change only one condition at a time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks!. I've had the hard start warm problem before and was told it was the injector pump.I'll try the loose cap and get back to you all.

Arrow

A hard warm start is rarely caused by the pump. More likely is the injectors. If that's the only symptom, the hard start, with no excessive smoke or rough running, it's best to accommodate the condition as best you can, and start saving for an injector job. However, neither should cause the fuel issue you are seeing now.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I think when it does happen my fuel tank is around 1/4 tank. I'll try the filler cap trick.

I ran the batteries dead trying to start it the other day. I just moved from California to Washington State and since I sold my house I may be in the market for a new Duramax. I do tow a 30' 5'er and really need a Duramax. When that time comes I will be sure to read up on pro's and con's on this board. Thanks again.

A lift pump is a necessary thing in my opinion and adding one will prime the system before starting so no need to work the hand pump.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    A lift pump is a necessary thing in my opinion and adding one will prime the system before starting so no need to work the hand pump.
    Thanks. I am thinking of getting a new truck. Still recommended?