Thread: Antifreeze leak

Unhappy Antifreeze leak

I have a 2002 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 L Duramax Turbo. I have been losing coolant for about a year and now it is getting worse. It is about a half gallon per 100 miles. I have not found any drips on the ground. I can smell it in the engine compartment. There is no coolant in the oil. I heard that it could be the injector leaking internally. I also heard that on the right hand side there is plate between the transmission and the block that can leak coolant. The right front head gasket in leaking externally very little. To me, it does not explain where all coolant is going. I am thinking of tearing it down to replace the head gasket. Do you have any suggestions on what else I should look for internally while it is apart?

Pressure test the system and/or add a tracer dye to the coolant and use a black light to track it.

If it is leaking internally you will have a gelatinous mess in the crankcase and the lower end will not last long.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

Get under the front of the truck and look at the neck of the water pump. There's a weep hole that allows coolant to exit the pump if a seal is bad.

Otherwise, does the exhaust have the smell of coolant?

Your 2002 vents crankcase gases to the atmosphere. The vent system/hose is located near the passenger front corner of the engine. Put an extension on that vent hose, and see if you can smell coolant in the crankcase gases.

Default Replacing Injectors - Reman or OEM?

I need to replace my injectors. Do you recommend re manufactured or OEM? If remanufactured, do you know a reputable source?

All you will find are either remanufactured OEM or junk new. Kennedy has already posted in this thread - he's the one to talk to about remans.

It has been a long standing belief of mine that in order for the injectors to live a long, happy, healthy life, they need additional filtration, a lift pump, and quality filtration. This belief still holds true.

Up until recently I felt that this was enough. Repeat fails on injector jobs that followed this (including new supply lines) were few and far between. This seems to have changed though. The 40k repeat has started trending. This is the blue/white smoke issue and is related to fuel dribble/seep at the nozzle. We have a solution that we are exceptionally confident in, but I would really like to see these units go 150-200k for total proof.

The injectors with the Sac type nozzle on our store is what I recommend. This style nozzle went into use starting with the LLY onward, and to date I have yet to see or hear of any model other than the LB7 that did the blue smoke deal.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Default New Style Injector

Kennedy - I got a quote from my local GMC dealer for injectors (parts only). Do you think these will be the sac type you recommend or will they be the old stock type. Also, I've read on here that you can't get new injectors even from dealers. The dealer did not mention if these would be remanufactured or new. What should I expect if I go back to order parts?

Default Update

Also, I wanted to mention that we found antifreeze in the top of a piston when we took the heads off. Also, found lots of rusted lines and cracked hoses. I sure hope those injectors last 200 K because everything else is going to be new too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Kennedy - I got a quote from my local GMC dealer for injectors (parts only). Do you think these will be the sac type you recommend or will they be the old stock type. Also, I've read on here that you can't get new injectors even from dealers. The dealer did not mention if these would be remanufactured or new. What should I expect if I go back to order parts?
    No they will not. The SAC type nozzle is an aftermarket thing as Bosch never built the LB7 injectors this way. The injectors for the LB7 are all reman. We have the stuff that you need and should be very competitive including head studs and gaskets etc.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner