Thread: Removing an LLY injector... need help!

Default Removing an LLY injector... need help!

7 of 8 poppped out easily, but #3 (driver's side bank, second from the front) is NOT moving for anything so far. My theory is that this is the cylinder on which the head gasket is leaking and the coolant has siezed the tip of the injector into its bore on the head. Bummer.

I need to get this injector out so I can remove the lower valve cover (which has already been compromised by my removal efforts) so I can get the head off to replace the head gasket. I've looked at the injector removal tool and think I see how it works, but I seriously doubt it will supply the force necessary to pull the injector. I'd really like to get the injector out without trashing it, but there will be one waiting for me the the dealer when I pick up the new valve cover - just in case.

So here's the question: How do I get this injector out?

Arrow

Sight unseen and in the blind (I've not done head work on the LLY), I'd suggest removing the head with the injector in place. Forced removal may destroy the head. Once out, you can get a look at the other side, and perhaps salvage the head (and injector). Since the lower cover is already destroyed, is there any reason it couldn't be cut away at that cylinder? A Dremmel tool or die grinder should make easy work of it.

Also, it appears you are working on cylinder #4, not #3, if this is on the driver side. Even # cylinders on the Duramax are on the left/driver side, opposite that of other GM engines, including the 6.2/5.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the response, and for letting me know the order of the cylinders. It WAS #4 that was causing issues. With the 2 part valve cover, only the top cover can come off with the injectors still in place. There's a lower valve cover bolt located UNDER each injector and the head bolts cannot be removed until the lower valve cover is off and the rocker arms and pushrods are out.

I got the injector out. More "gentle" prying with progressively bigger pry bars and in various locations around the injector. I did booger up the threads that the high pressure fuel line screws to, but the sealing surface is still good - I'll try to find a shop that can test the injector and make sure it's still good. The injector clamp is fooked though - got a new one coming with the valve cover. Time will tell how much that roadblock will cost me.

With the LB7's we use an old return line bolt to pry on. With the LLY I honestly don't recall having any issues, BUT screwing a supply line to the injector should add a bit of a "handle" to help work it out. A rotational wiggle is typically best.

We also dab dielectric grease on all fasteners especially the glow plug threads before assembly. With the LLY I typically rewplace the plugs at this point due to miles, age, and reasonable cost.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!