Thread: 1983 Dodge Vancharger 360 to Duramax

Default 1983 Dodge Vancharger 360 to Duramax

I bought a 1983 Dodge Vancharger with Pathfinder suspension, and I'm interested if anybody has converted one of these to Diesel. I'm in the market for a Duramax/Allison combo. I am interested in making this vehicle a long range road tripper for skiing all over the west. Any input or problems anybody has had with converting to diesel appreciated. Currently vehicle is running full time 4wd. Interested in changing front out to freewheel hub type (suggestions). Is this a idea worth pursuing, or should I wait until current engine dies and go from there. Current engine/drivetrain 177,000 miles (68,000 on rebuild).

First thing to do is get out your tape measure...

There was a variant of the 6.5TD with a center mounted turbo for the vans of that era. I'm going to guess that shoehorning a Duramax into the confines of the engine compartment of your Dodge van is going to take some creative thinking and body modifications.

I'm a fan of freewheel hubs on 4WD over full-time 4WD - particularly if you're seeing a lot of highway miles where it isn't needed.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423