Thread: new filter, black smoke

Default new filter, black smoke

I have noticed that after installing a new K&N filter on my LBZ that I tend to get black smoke emmisions while towing. Change the filter and it stops. I have upgraded the exhaust to a Banks Monster Cat back and no other mods. Does any one have a an answer to this mystery black smoke?

What filter is it? Just a insert, stage 1 or stage 2?
    07 Chevrolet Classic, CC, regular box, Duramax Diesel, Magnaflow dual exhaust and Superchips tuned.

If you get black smoke - its no mystery. Your engine is short of air. You might be over-oiling the filter, and causing it to load up prematurely. If not, the filter isn't handling the demands your are placing on it.

Personally, I am not a fan of oiled gauze filters on diesel engines. They let too much fine particulates through, and load up too easily if over-oiled or if they get wet. I've tried K&N and others on both 6.5's and Duramaxes, and had much better luck with changing OEM filters at every oil change interval.

Great for gassers.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

it is just the insert and straight from the factory it started this smoking. We talked to K&N and they sent us a new one and we sent the old one back but the new one is doing the same thing. I probably will go back to the OEM filter at every oil change. Unless someone has a fix or other idea. Thanks for the replies guys