Thread: What Head is most desirable for the 6.2?

Default What Head is most desirable for the 6.2?

I have an '87 Suburban "C" code.. In reading and reading a ton of threads, I believe the "J" code heads are the ones to go with.. Although I've heard of the "J"s cracking as well.. So just wondering if there is a specific casting number and/or year that has had the greatest success rate as far as using 6.2 heads.. I'm also running a Banks sidewinder and I'll be using the ARP head studs.. Also, can anyone recommend a place to get heads from? Is there any place that builds "new" higher performance heads for the 6.2's?

There's not enough difference between the C & J code heads to be concerned about. Any year 6.2L heads 1984 and newer (fine thread injectors) will work fine if you can locate a good set - which may be difficult.

6.5 heads will work just fine on your 6.2 block, but you'll also need new 6.5 fuel injector lines because of the different injector angles.

www.peninsularengine.com carries heads and injector lines if you cannot locate good used parts.

Jim

I'm still using the original "C" code 1982 heads on my 82 Suburban. They're very visibly cracked between every valve seat but it has never caused a problem. I did install copper tubings where the water passes through just in case. What I like about these heads is they deliver very good fuel economy.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear