Thread: What? No cracked heads???

I have been working the GMC booth for the past 4 years now at the American Quarter Horse Association World Congress. This year I have not had one person come up to me and even mention any issues with the aluminum heads.
    Funny, this used to be the main focus of my discussions just a couple years ago. I have herd a few injector stories though. The vast majority of the people I talk to these days, own one, have driven one or know someone who has one and they are very happy with them.

P.S.
    Kudos
    Member #4883
    My diesels
    97 Chevy C-3500 Dually, 6.5TD
    85 VW Jetta 1.6L N/A
    85 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.2 N/A
    85 Surburban 2500 4x4 6.2 N/A
    83 Chevy G-30 Van 6.2 N/A

Kennedy Guest

I have a cracked head here on a warranty core I purchased. In fact there's a great big hole in it. The hole is where the valve that stuck/dropped was smashed through by the piston which is no longer in existence...

Glad the 6.5 guy is happy. They do a decent job when set up right. Nothing like a Dmax, but solid...

oyazi Guest

My neighbors 01 had a cracked head. No thot given to the mat'l. Noticed when the valve train failed.

I'm not saying that they will never have a cracked head, all engines crack heads under the right circumstances. I was merely pointing out that the rumors have died down considerably now that they have been out for a while and have proven themselves.
    I used to hear how those aluminum heads would never hold up on a diesel and that there were dealer lots full of trucks with cracked heads. Of course, when challenged, they were unable to provide the dealers names. This year I haven
    Member #4883
    My diesels
    85 VW Jetta 1.6L N/A

Kennedy Guest

I haven't heard of any cracks from "natural causes" as of yet.

I'll add that it may seem that I typically "play" with my Dmax racing and dynoing, but here's a look at the work side of things:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/photogal/dmaxtrailer.html

The dozer operator followed with his truck (behind) and commented that "Your truck with that load on still had just as good or better take off than my truck empty" I didn't really even get on it because shortly after getting underway, the trailer brakes lost connection. At 20k that's a lot to stop with the pickup's (connection on trailer is now fixed for the return trip) brakes. I ran 55-60 mph up the rolling hills of WI in 5th gear at 1700-ish rpm with only a single downshift. This was with the low setting of my VA 200+ box. The downshift occurred when I let the RPM's drop to 1500 on a hill. Had I been on the higher setting I likely could have saved it. Smoke was minimal to non existent except when I was accelerating to speed. Tires would slip easily had I given it a REAL taste of the power.

Thumbs up

D-max Man

I'm sure it's just a typo, but the build date on my '01 is October 2000.

I know what you mean. No one has asked me lately if I had my heads replaced yet. I was almost at the point of making a recorded answer. Come to think of it, I haven't heard any negative comments about the Duramax for a while, out here in the real in the real world (off-line).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I have not seen nor heard directly of any cracking of heads that were not damaged from other causes, the warped heads I have heard of are from overheating issues from coolant leaks. The only head failure I have seen my self is when the injector tube leaks and it etches the surface where it seals to the head. Very durable design so far... Even the big power guys seem to hold them decent.
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Dmax Maverick,

You cought me. It was indeed a typo. It was in July 2000 while I was on the Duramax Diesel Power Tour (2000 was the only year I was on that tour).

I just finished the last weekend there (AQHA)and still no mention of cylinder head issues.

I did hear that "Ford owns Cummins" though.
    I thought that one was put to rest too.
    Member #4883
    My diesels
    85 VW Jetta 1.6L N/A

Kennedy Guest

Towed it back last night. With 40

Much nicer towing back with trailer brakes!
    I can relate to that! Bought a JD 450B dozer that came with a trailer on Ebay in WV. Got down there and the trailer didn't have any functioning brakes needless to say, maintaining speed was no problem but trying to stop it, especially quickly, was a bit terrifying!
    2001 Red D/A 4x4 Standard Cab Autometer Ultra-Lite Boost/EGT, KD4&lt;5, RJ, HI/ODL, 285x75BFGATs<br /> <a href=\"http://www.mudbogg.com/gallery/gallery1/0077.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.mudbogg.com/gallery/gallery1/0077.html</a>

Smile

Hey Dude, Sorry I didn't get to talk to you at the booth this year. It looked like you were pretty busy with everyone,s questions. Mike Collies from Chesrown was trying to sell me a new one, but my 02 is still going strong and has just under 50,000 on it. Maybe in a few more years. I have heard people say that towing with juice in level 2 will get your tranny eventually. Any truth to that? I try not to let it get under 1850 rpm when towing in 5th. If I get slower than that I step on it and make it shift down to fourth. Take care and hope to see you next year. "Wild Bill"