Thread: Height issues towing 5th wheel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Height issues towing 5th wheel?

In process of upgrading to an "08" Silverado D/A EC/LB. It has 17" wheels/tires and must be 2 - 3 inches higher than my "03" Anyone had issues hooding up to your 5th wheel?
    08 Blue Granite Silverado LTZ, DMax/Ally, CC/LB/4x4, Cab lights, Camper mirrors, Brake controller, Sunroof, Park assist, and skinny tires

06 Jetta TDI

00 Jayco 263RK (2nd home)

upgraded to an "09" Ranger 619VS/full windsheilds, w/an ETEC 225HO, T8 kicker, Minnkota 101 Terrova, and Lowrance electronics.

Real Trucks have LONG BEDS!

When I swiched to a taller truck I was able to adjust the king pin on the camper and the hight of the hitch and still had enough clearance between the bed rails and the camper.

Had an opportunity to do a side x side comparision from my truck to the new ones. One had 16" tires and the other had 17". My truck sitting with everything out of it sits about 55.5 inches from top of tailgate to ground on flat level surface. The new trucks sit 57"/16" tires and 57.5" for the 17s. I opt'd for the 16's because of the cost issue down the road to replace them. I almost bought a 3500 off the lot, but decided to measure and I had it on as level of surface as I could and it measured a solid 60" at the tailgate to ground. I ended up ording the truck in the sig.
    08 Blue Granite Silverado LTZ, DMax/Ally, CC/LB/4x4, Cab lights, Camper mirrors, Brake controller, Sunroof, Park assist, and skinny tires

06 Jetta TDI

upgraded to an "09" Ranger 619VS/full windsheilds, w/an ETEC 225HO, T8 kicker, Minnkota 101 Terrova, and Lowrance electronics.

Smile Hieght

The end result in all trailers is that you want equal weight on both trailer axles when towing, so the trailer should be level when hitched. If not you will carry more weight on one axle, thus creating excessive heat on the tires and wheel bearings, not to mention poor braking.
    Depending on the 5th wheel trailer you have, you should adjust the pin box for a level tow, but watch for clearance on your bed sides.
    Just my suggestions for a safe operation.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

I had the factory install adjustable axles on my first 5th wheel in order to raise it enough to get the 6" clearance above the truck bed rails. My second 5th has Moryde axles which are adjustable. You could also "flip" the axles under the springs too. In any case, you need 6" above the truck bed rails.

UPDATE: I ended up ording the truck with the standard suspension package, just like my 03 had and the truck sits the same height as what the 03 did. Seems all the trucks on the lots I looked at had the Z71 suspension package which makes the truck sit higher.

I had the trailer raised for one summer and it was too high and too top heavy in my opinion. The way the trailer sits on the old truck will be the same on this one and is pretty close to level towing. My trailer also have the ajustable suspension, but it is at its MAX range. I like the trailer, its paid for and have no issues with it so I'm not in the market for a different one that actually comes with the bigger tires now.

Thanks for everyones responses.

06 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by torque View Post
    I had the factory install adjustable axles on my first 5th wheel in order to raise it enough to get the 6" clearance above the truck bed rails. My second 5th has Moryde axles which are adjustable. You could also "flip" the axles under the springs too. In any case, you need 6" above the truck bed rails.

Is 6" enough?? With my 38' enclosed I had 6" of bed rail clearance but still dinged the bed in 3 places, 3 times. I have since raised the clearance to about 7.5"+ and no problems. Adjusted the gooseneck about 2" and switched from 15" to 16" wheels with heavier, larger diameter tires gaining 1.2" total @ the wheels.
    Or is the problem more from tight turns on slopes and hills of southern Ohio and Ky. and Tn.?? bob.........
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch