Thread: Fuel Filtration

Does anyone know of someone working on a replacement fule filter that fits in the stock position? I would think that they would be able to make a tighter filter and just increase surface area to offset pressure dleta across filter.
    What is the update on trucks stalling due to entrained air?
    Also, this talk of injector failure has me a little worried. Is that covered on the 100K mile engine warranty?
    Thanks for the help on this...

Arrow

A while back, here in this forum, someone mentioned that they were working on a fuel filter assy replacement for the factory unit. I don't think it went very far, but using the forum search could provide more info.

I would be concerned about warranty issues if the factory fuel filter assy was replaced entirely.

Adding a second filter seems to be more widely accepted by dealers. Keeping the original will maintain the water in fuel sensor, fuel heater and fuel line routing used by GM. Just a whole lot less to explain if you have a warranty service visit.

I also recommend talking to your dealer service manager when adding an auxiliary fuel filter. He'll likely agree that it couldn't hurt and will likely help, and talking to him before hand will reduce any warranty concerns.

GM's fuel injection system warranty coverage is a little murky. Technically, they can deny coverage if there is a fuel quality issue, but dealers generally cover all repairs. In my opinion, dealers/GM would deny fuel system coverage only in situations where there is gross negligence on the part of the owner.

MP

Kennedy Guest

Originally posted by More Power:

GM's fuel injection system warranty coverage is a little murky. Technically, they can deny coverage if there is a fuel quality issue, but dealers generally cover all repairs. In my opinion, dealers/GM would deny fuel system coverage only in situations where there is gross negligence on the part of the owner.

MP
    I've recently spoken with individuals who received varied results with warranty. Near as I can recollect here is the result.

Individual A had the truck quit, dealer towed. Dealer has drained filter, found water, replaced WIF sensor (light never came on) R&R'd tank and drained. Bill is at $1500 (warranty denied) and dealer made comment to the effect that the truck has a filter, that is not a water separator.

Individual B had dead truck, rep came in, found all 8 injectors supposedly plugged from bad fuel, warranted everything...