Thread: Need head gasket advice

Default Need head gasket advice

Just had new injectors put in my truck at 184000
    I also was loosing coolant at the time but could not see where
    The mechanic who did the injectors was pretty sure it was an injector cup leaking

We thought everything was good but on my way home from tx to mt losing coolant again now I'm almost certain its head gaskets

Before we did injectors we initially thought head gasket

Mechanic said I had three options

1 replace head gasket and have old heads surfaced he said this was not a guaranteed fix price I think he said $3500

2 replace head gasket and use new heads price $7500

3 get a remanufactured block from dealer with 100000 mile warranty price $10500 installed

On a 2001 Dmax none of these sound too appealing
    I do love the truck and I think it is otherwise in very good shape

Should I go with option 1 and do it now. I do not know how long head gaskets have been leaking maybe 20000 miles i lose about a 1/4 gallon of coolant every 300 miles towing a travel trailer. The coolant blows out the resivoir.

Could I just keep driving the truck and get a new block when gaskets really start leaking badly.

Any help would be appreciated
    2001 Lb7 Dmax 1 ton dually
    185000 miles With Hillsboro flatbed
    30 ft bumper pull camp trailer

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by silver89 View Post
    [*snip]

Could I just keep driving the truck and get a new block when gaskets really start leaking badly.

Any help would be appreciated
    If it is head gaskets, you're already there. Been there for a while, it seems. ASAP is your only option, or you'll be at option 3 sooner than you think.

Confirm that it is head gaskets, one way or another. It's likely, though.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Check the radiator cap

Silver89,

My 2006 D/A used small amounts of coolant for about 50k miles. Jim came to the rescue when he wrote a DP service article on radiator caps. I checked my radiator cap and the spring was frozen and would not move. I took the blunt end of a screw driver and hit the inside of the cap to free up the spring and it solved the coolant issue. I quickly replaced the cap with a new GM cap and it hasn't used any coolant for the last 75k miles. A new cap is only about $15.00 and would be an easy fix if you are lucky.

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Sure sounds like a classic head gasket issue. Easily fixed, but expensive. Studs and skim cut heads at a minimum. We also avoid the latest GM gaskets due to design and quality concerns. We do offer head gasket kits w/o all the frills and junk that you do not need.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!